dual firewall
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dual firewall

dual firewall

ive done loads of firewall testing but ive never run 2 at the same time. ive always been told never to because of confliction.

can anyone shead some light on this subject

You can run two at the same time. You need to know how to configure them properly so they don't step on each others toes. There may be some people that disagree, but personally, I don't see a good reason to run two firewalls on one machine. As long as one is up, running, and configured properly you should be set. Getting the right firewall for your needs is a different topic, and you could probably find some good info if you search the forums on the subject.

hi
    in some cases, one firerule overrides the other.
    a good constellation is a hardwarefirewall and a software packet filter firewall.
    do not go for the application firewalls. these firewalls are good, thats for sure, but a packet filter firewall catches more from the traffic than the application firewall type.
    hwf : linux or gatelock 200x
    sfw: visnetic firewall / conseal firewall.

ummm

this my of been asked before but what is the difference between application firewall and software packit firewall and which firewall software is which

The reason that you don't want to run to firewalls at the same time is because of where the firewalls bind into the TCP/IP stack. They basically are going to bind into whatever machine's TCP/IP stack that you decide to run the firewall on and then read all the packets, process them, and either pass or drop them. This works just fine when you have one firewall; however, when you run multiple firewalls on the same machine, you will inevitably have the multiple software packages fighting over the same resources and devices and in windows in particular, this can lead to massive instability...

Best to use one firewall or the other, or if you must, layer the two products, but don't run them on the same machine...

nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

a hardware and a software is the best mix.
    Ill THink of one when i get time.

I have runned multiple software firewalls on Windows at the same time. Most of the time it is useless since one will do all the job while the other just runs doing nothing except munching on ressources...

The only case 2 software firewalls could be useful is when both firewalls have holes...
    But who wants to use those???
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]

two at a time?

I have used two firewalls at a time but it made one of them stop functioning correctly.
    so instead i decided to use one firewall and a packet sniffer that could detect some attacks.
    this way if the firewall alerted of attacks i could check the sniffer if it had too detected such attacks and if so i could use the sniffer to see what has happend i also could use the firewall's
    log file.
    i can say the hardware +software firewall with a sniffer would be the best combination.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.-- Albert Einstein

I 've been following this discussion for quite some time now, and I wonder what's the best firewall combination, hardware and software by brandname.

take a look at:
    http://internet-tips.net/Security/Firewalls.htm
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------