Thread: Books

Post Books

Hey, I got about 1000 dollars with of book cert's and I want to use them before I lose them. I was wondering if you guys could give me some good book titles under these certain categories.

Cryptography, Security Analysts, TCP/IP books, or just some other general books you have read and think are worth mentioning.

Thanks for your time.

Just noticed you have a book section, delete this thread at will.

There are alot of threads out there already that have to do with this, but the biggest reason that I am replying is to let you know you can delete the thread by selecting edit, and then once that screen loads, selecting delete.

Might want to check out :

Hacking Exposed (Mcclue, Scambray, Kurtz)
    Computer Networks (Andrew Tanenbaum) : IMHO, a very good book that I don't see mentioned terribly often, goes through all layers of the TCP/IP stack, from local loops to T1's, to application layers stuff like encryption (including descriptions of the DES algorithm) and the mundane like web browsing.
    TCP/IP Illustrated (Stevens)

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

along with the above suggestion for tcp/ip illustrated (these top my list).

Title: Applied Cryptography, 2nd ed.
    Author: Bruce Schneier
    Publisher: John Wiley & Sons
    ISBN: 0-471-11709-9

Title: Modelling and Analysis of Security Protocols
    Authors: Peter Ryan & Steve Schneider
    Publisher: Addison Wesley
    ISBN: 0-201-67471-8

Title: UNIX Network Programming - Networking API's: Sockets and XTI (Volume 1, 2nd ed.)
    Author: W. Richard Stevens
    Publisher: Prentice Hall
    ISBN: 0-13-490012-X
    -droby10

hacking exposed

i would also agree with nebulus200 about hacking exposed

im reading it at the moment, tells you everything you need to know and it it about 700-800 pages long, in small print.
    but it is very informative and comes with a selection of tools on a cd.highly recomend it.

the lates version also covers wirless networks and wap
    [gloworange]The Enemy Is Ignorance[/gloworange]

http://www.antionline.com/sig.php?id=194

Banned
    Hacking Exposed. Obvious choice and I must say the big red book is worth a read.
    Check out IRC and ask around, many of the guys there will give you more exact titles.

To anybody else check out your library for some oldies but goldies.

Was searching to find more info on this book to see what the opinion was on it.

I checked the 2nd edition out of the college library over Holiday break and so far it is very good.

Talking

Crypto sure here is a good and short book Cracking DES secrets of encryption research, wiretap politics and chip desing

isbn 1-56592-520-3

out o print in most places i got mine in a zellers for 9.99 its got code for the cracker and chips that they built
    old man how is it you hear these things. young man how is it that you do not.

For Security analyst..I've been reading:
    -Hack Attacks Revealed by John Chrillo
    -Maximum Linux Security SAMS
    -Hack IT. security through Penetration Testing By T.J Klevinsky,Scott Laliberte, Ajay Gupta.
    I haven't finished read those books...it's a good books..but they are god damm..thick books...
    General:
    -Linux Just For Fun by Linus Torvald
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!