Thread: Microsoft Applies For Smiley Patent

Microsoft Applies For Smiley Patent

The patent, which was published by the US patent office on Thursday, covers selecting pixels to create an emoticon image, assigning a character sequence to these pixels and reconstructing the emoticon after transmission.

Mark Taylor, the executive director of the Open Source Consortium, said on Friday said this is such a basic concept that he would not have been surprised to see it posted as a fictional patent on a technology site.

"I would have expected to see something like this suggested by one of our more immature community members as a joke on Slashdot, and probably would have chuckled at the absurdity of the notion. We now appear to be living in a world where even the most laughable paranoid fantasies about commercially controlling simple social concepts are being outdone in the real world by well-funded armies of lawyers on behalf of some of the most powerful companies on the planet," said Taylor.

1. Source
    2. Actual application

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I think we need to generate a couple of new ones QUICK ...........

:biteme:

:upyours:

:WTF:

:OMFG:

Come on Billy boy :make my day:
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Ok that is one of the stupidest things that Microsoft has come up with. I mean applies for a patent on a smiley. I mean they didn't even invent it.
    [T]he future is now.

I don't think Undies is going to part with his Pirate Smilely without a fight

Why is it that I have a sudden urge to put the wires on that nasty little druggie scamster and touch him with my finger?

Yeah, Billy Windows must be the richest guy to ever have been busted on a pot rap..........not many people know that

Maybe Micro$haft is a front for laundering Columbian "export revenues"

Ack phtt!

Regal Making Handler
    I mean they didn't even invent it.
    They never invented anything.................They just brought it.

Yeah, Billy Windows must be the richest guy to ever have been busted on a pot rap..........not many people know that
    And also not have the loose change to pay for some icecream, aparently[1]

[1] some shitty book I read
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry