Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A note to the newbies....

Old Fart

A note to the newbies....

I've noticed a couple of trends developing over the past few days, so I'm posting this to address them and hopefully help some people out. When you read thru a thread, pay attention to the date it was posted on. As a general rule, when someone posted a question a month (or longer) ago the odds are they have gotten their answer and don't require assistance anymore. Bringing up old threads is a waste of AO resources 95% of the time.

Don't sit down and answer every thread on the main page with some inane one line post just to build up your number of posts....you expose yourself to the possibility of accumulating negative AntiPoints for making useless posts in this manner. Patience is a virtue.

Try to keep the tone of your posts respectible when reponding to threads...as time passes you will grasp a good understanding of when to 'flame' and when not to...and the flame time here is held to a minimum for good reason. Calling someone an idiot or saying that the software they prefer is stupid and lame when you only have 10 posts under your belt isn't wise. Show intelligence, not attitude, when posting please.

If JP or any of the other senior members object to what I have said here, I will gladly withdraw this thread. I'm only trying to help improve the AO experience for all of us, and I hope that this thread will do just that. If any of you seniors out there have anything to add, by all means please do so!

<EDIT>
    This one is real important, and I apologize for overlooking it initially. When you are preparing to post a thread, take the time to use the search feature (upper right corner, main page) before you post. If you are wanting firewall or AV info, there have been numerous posts in the past discussing these and many other apps. Threads with repeated subject matter are a horrendous waste of AO resources. If your search yeilds no results, then by all means start a thread and discuss to your hearts content!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

/preach on my brother i have noticed this a lot in the past to 2 days almost all the main page was 5150`s old threads and latorgator has been posting in a lot of outdated threads to
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Great job. This is a post that needs to be on here and some people who have been posting in old threads need to read. Great job and I hope alotta people read this.

Talking

One line posters suck
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

I'd also like to make a small note to the newbies, read through some of the New features posts to see features that exsist so that you'll know the explanation of certain things. For instance, if a post has a blinking date, it's an old post ( 2 weeks I think ) and therefore, you shouldn't post in it. Also, if you read the FAQ, you'll know that 1 line posts get about as much of a response, and sometimes even negative antipoints. I hope to help you guys with this post and just a few quick tips that can help you in making your time at AO a fun, enjoyable, and friendly one. -- Jason (JC) Copeland.

This phenomenon has been since the "similar threads" feature is activated. I'm angry when I find a lot of interesting threads on the main page and that I view their outdated.

I think your post could be put into the "read before posting" thread.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Banned
    Nicely said, Al. I think it would be nice if this post were made sticky for newbies to refer to. Hopefully it would clear up a lot of confusion, and more importantly steer newbies in the right direction when it comes to posting and overall behavior in the forums.

Wow you're insight is quite confounding...please enlighten me more....

yes this would make a good sticky post.

cmnoop looks like everything i heard about you is true
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

This should definately be a sticky post. It would have made a difference to many I am sure. Although unfortunately too many newbies jump in without doing any reading here.

Alas though it seems that some newbies come here with an attitude and have no intention of doing anything but flaming. But for those that come here with the intent to learn, this will help them a great deal.

Hell I'm no longer a newbie to AO and this is a good guideline for my future posts, and hopefully one day, threads.