Hi, through the years of haveing a internet connection I have noticed some things I just never got an answer for.

One thing I have noticed is if you type 1 w instead of three like so:

w.google.ca

it gives you the google web site, but in the address bar you still only see 1 w.

it does the same with 2 w's. Now if you dont type any w's:

google.ca

it redirects to www.google.ca

Can someone explain what is going on?

My second question is. When you randomly type a web address in the address bar, sometimes that domain name has not been registered yet. I have a fairly good Idea how web domains work, you pay a registrar to buy a domain name, then either you host the site on your computer(s) or pay a hosting company to host your site. Now sometimes if the domain has not been purchased yet, you will be presented with a page with the message:

This domain name is for sale. And useualy the companys logo is on the page. Now I know that there are many difernt companys that sell domain names, but since the domain has not been purchased yet, how come a certian company has put their logo on the site?

I mean, if the domain has not yet been purchased, then wouldent I just get a error 404 or 505? Instead of a registrar advertiseing since there are many registrars out there?