Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basics Of Security

Question Basics Of Security

well seeign as tho i am close to being removed from antionline i thought i would ask this question... what is the basics of Security u know i mean is there anything xtrea to add to my comp other than a firewall and antivirus ?? sould i use a proxy or what thax
    [shadow]I Have Not Failed I Have Just Fond 10,000 Ways It Will Not Work[/shadow][

a bit yea

a good tool to have is a trojan scanner,its not a av and its desgned to find all trojans, spyware,worms and more. the best one in my oppinion is

tuscan

theres also pest patrol which is good.

also a detection device such as snort is good

snort download here

proxy wise ive tryed everything and cant seem to get anywere apart form

annonamiser.com (its not spellt right so do a search for it)
    its a proxy program that gets built into IE and works well. i personally dont use it as i dint see the point.

also if u are about to get the boot (not far from it my self) i suggest the tactic of
    'one hand washes the other' get my point. be nice to everyone even if u dont like them and when you get plenty of good points and u want revenge............. so on

hope i helped
    [gloworange]The Enemy Is Ignorance[/gloworange]

http://www.antionline.com/sig.php?id=194

Those are great tips, Scoobs.

Furinax -- Scoobs is right, a good trojan scanner is always good to have, but it's also important to remember that security is a lot more than what tools or anti-tools you have. Security is staying informed about new threats that are out there. We can't tell you the tools to have on-hand to fight the threats for the next 5 years. Security must be as fluid and dynamic as the technology being created to defeat it. To help you get a good idea of the theory of security and how it applies to information systems, I've found that Oreilly's Computer Security Basics is a great book to get you thinking about security. It covers very well many of the concepts of security (like encryption, trusted systems, government security standards, vulnerabilities, passwords, etc), without concentrating on specific operating systems or hardware. With the background provided in that book, much of the information presented on this site will become a bit clearer, and you should have a better idea of what you're looking for each time you visit.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

How Secure

You have to ask yourself how secure do I want to be and how much am I willing to pay.

Depending upon your situation etc. will determine what you want to do. As stated previously you should also keep up on what is happening because computer security if fluid.

Example: My home system I use an Anti-Virus and a firewall that does port forwarding and NAT. NAT alone provides a good deal of protection however it also add some limitations (I would have to put a box in the DMZ if I wanted to web host my own sites). A trojan scanner would fill out this for me at home but I have yet to install one.

At work it is another matter entirely. Since I work for a financial institution we use Novell as our NOS, and Win2K as our OS. NAT and a full up firewall between us and the internet, we outsource our Web hosting to limit vulnerability there. Workstations are controlled and locked down, AV is served and updated to each device. Currently we are looking for a good intrusion detection system although Novell has one of the best security track records. This level of security costs a lot of money and I could never afford to do this at home but if someone did trash my home system I am not liable to go to jail for violating Privacy Laws either.

Security is tailored to a need. It is based on monetary as well as protection factors. The O'Reilly book was mentioned, Hacking Exposed 3rd Edition also gives a good overview of different attack methods and the defenses to use against them. I am sure that by looking in the books forum you can find other good resources.

Therefore the Basics of Security is most certainly Knowledge. Knowledge is power.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

mabye a brute forcer and a ip locator.. hence your not going to be able to use the one hon here anymore.. lol

but yeah .. just check out some sites on security/// you shoudl find pleanty on there.

Old Fart
    Furinax and scoobs....you're not as close to being banned as you think. When you have multiple red dots under your name, THEN you're getting close. Chill out, look at some of the posts you've made and compare them to other posts that have gotten a good reaction and learn from your mistakes. Scoobs, I don't mean this in a cruel way, I'm just observing here...and what I see is a pretty bad attitude. Your mood indicates you're mad because people here can't read properly, when actually, if you'll look at your posts, your spelling isn't very good (ie use the spell-checker) which tends to make your posts hard to understand. You have displayed a degree of arrogance in your posts which can be taken as offensive, even tho you probably have not intended them to be taken that way. You guys can hate me if you want, but I'm only trying to help you out....take it for what it's worth.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

ok

yea i see your point, its just i got quite defencive from the beggining when i got a few bad points.

i will just start from scratch then.

thanks for the advice.

by the way i cant really be bothered to use a spell check. 56k to slow

OK, this has gotten pretty far off topic now, but I think this is therapeutic. Maybe a moderator could move this to General Chit Chat or something.

I want to echo what Al said above. scoobs, I think you have something to contribute, but you got off to a really, really bad start here. I'm not picking on you, and in fact my first post was an attempt to help you and explain where you were going wrong before you got negged to death. Then you started sending me rude little remarks for trying to offer you some advice, and that didn't exactly make me want to help you any more.

Now, I'm not picking on you or harassing you, but I want to point out a few things about what's happened here so you'll know next time.

Al is spot on with his comment about arrogant attitude. You had one strike against you from the beginning of the thread , if for no other reason than the title of it. "i know the best av's" As if you were here to lecture everybody and show us the error of our ways, despit the fact that many of the members here have been doing this a very, very long time and are extremely good at what they do. You have to prove yourself around here by demonstrating knowledge of the subject and a willingness to learn. You haven't done that yet, which is why people resented feeling like they were being lectured to by the new kid on the block. Saying that somebody's product of choice "sucks" isn't going to win you any friends. And even though you retracted your comment about sheep, you can't put the water back in the glass after it's broken. You only get one chance to make a first impression.

You can present your opinions without belittling the opinons of others. A little humility goes a long way, especily when you're new. Once you establish yourself and show that you really do have something to bring to the table, you'll get a bit more leeway from the other members.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

point taken.

im working on it.

Well tHx For All The Info Guys

If I am luckey my comp dont die on me again from worms ect .......
    [shadow]I Have Not Failed I Have Just Fond 10,000 Ways It Will Not Work[/shadow][