Thread: When a hacker goes too far...

Old Fart

When a hacker goes too far...

I found this article to very interesting as it presents an objective view of the ramifications of hacking. The story tells a tale of woe that has followed Max Ray Butler (renowned as a 'white-hat') since his incarceration for intruding into government and military networks back in the 90's. Once a $250 an hour consultant, Max now works for minimum wage, can't BUY a job in the security field, and has to get permission from his parole officer to access the internet. I recommend this read to ANYONE who is obsessed with invading networks, as it illustrates in good fashion the havok it can wreak on your life.

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,54838,00.html
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Great read, really shows what happens when even the good guys screw up and do something stupid. Its a shame that its so hard for him to find work, but unfortuantely
    thats what a criminal record does to you. Hopefully younger people will read it and possibly avoid making the same mistake that Butler did.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

This article is a must-read for anyone who believes that there is such a thing as "good hacking."

In principle I can see why a "white hat" would think what they are doing is noble. They identify holes and penetrate them in order to bring attention to a problem. The truth is, though, that the law is the law and it doesn't (shouldn't) discriminate. Sad what happens when good people do bad things...
    Time is a created thing -- to say \"I don\'t have time\" is like saying \"I don\'t want to.\"

Lao-Tzu

Good collection allenb. Come up with such ones.
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=210 ۯ

UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity. Dennis Ritchie.

hi

i agree with u that he is a good hacker and very skilled...but he did send out a worm that open a port... what does that make him??
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts.

Ninja Code Monkey
    Indeed....if he was such a good guy, then why did he add the code to give himself a backdoor to all of those systems?
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Exactly Juridian...that brings up another interesting question.

There is a small security contracting company in my area that designs custom security schemes for corporations. Some of the guys over there build backdoors in to all of the systems that they implement. One of the guys told me that they do it so that if the client doesn't pay the maintenance bills they can go in and disable the client's security barriers and open their networks up to the world. That way they will be forced to pay to get the thing running again...

I don't know if that is true or not. Probably just a guy bragging, but it does bring up a larger point. Some security experts do leave back doors into the systems that they design. Anyone have an idea why that might be?
    Time is a created thing -- to say \"I don\'t have time\" is like saying \"I don\'t want to.\"

Lao-Tzu

That being said I think now he knows what he did was very wrong (if he didn't know that in the first place.) Otherwise, allenb this was an excellent read and I agree that it should be read by anyone who believes that there is such a thing as good hacking bdhoff. It goes to show all of us that we only get one shot in life and if we blow it now it could go on ruin other future opportunities. -Peace Out-
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...

the distinction between this guy's actions and those who do "good hacking" is obvious, isn't it? "good hacking" does exist, is valued, and even pays well. had max stayed on the straight and narrow, he wouldn't be in the situation he's in now. the real lesson here is most adequately described in the title of this thread.
    -droby10

bdhoff i use a simialr prog to do that when i do major work on someones system and they seem a little flaky about payment i load a file that after 4 days it gives them a message that they need to make arrangments to pay otherwise there will be consequences and if i have not sent the remover bay a certain amount of time the first prog will move and change the names of .docs and some system files then if i still haven't sent the remover it statrs deleting files until i get paid and send the remover prog. in this day and age one can never be too careful.
    Ametuers get jail time Pros get jobs.