Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interest in Linux tutorials?

Interest in Linux tutorials?

I'm currently writing up a little tutorial comparing the 5 major filesystems currently available for Linux (ext2, ext3, ReiserFS, XFS, and JFS). It's nothing too technical.... just a little overview and comparison of features aimed at newbies who might not know how to answer when they get prompted to format.

I want to gauge interest in such a tutorial before I post it.... My last one on file permissions didn't get much of a response, so I don't want to clutter up the Tutorials forum any more than it already is if there's no interest.

Also, are there any Linux topics that anybody would like to see tutorials on in the future? Keeping in mind, of course, that this is a security-oriented site and not a how-do-i-get-mplayer-to-work site. I may or may not be able to write them, but at least it would be nice to know what people are interested in learning.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

I cant get my mplayer to work Can you help me? Hehe j/k
    I would be interested, cant say anything about other people though...
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

Bring it on...

Rev
    Many will ask, \"Where do you want to go today?\" because they\'re still scratching for ideas.

With *NIX, there\'s already a way. The sum of us just need roadmaps to get there.

I would be most interested in cgi exploits and security, but that's only me....also anything about linux/unix I'll surely read

-Mike
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

any tutorial about command line, prastical ones, and some about security ones too.

Bring it on indeed...
    I'm a recent convert to the *nix camp, and although using Red Hat isn't too bad, I got a little 486 box that I'm converting into a router, and it looks like I'll need to put Slackware 4.x or a *BSD on it. From what I've seen so far, the filesystem is just the beginning. Some of the commands will be different, and the tree seems to differ from distro to distro. I can hardly wait!

zaddikim
    You can lead a yak to water, but you can\'t teach an old dog
    to make a silk purse out of a pig in a poke
    -Berke Breathed/ Opus The Penguin

Slackware makes an excellent linux system. I use it for all my servers, I currently have Slackware 8 on my main PC as a workstation (although I have Apache/PHP and eventually MySQL on for web design / php testing purposes). FreeBSD is supposed to make excellent servers and firewall/routers as well.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Make us know the concepts through you tutorials. Come up buddy.....
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=210 ۯ

UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity. Dennis Ritchie.

I would love to read that...

Yes please! Anything on security would be great as well. Related to security, I (and I'm sure others) would appreciate any research on DR within Linux.

And of course, getting mplayer to work would be great! Sorry, could not resist.
    \"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?\"
    -Juvenal