Thread: " win 98 box start up problem"

Question " win 98 box start up problem"

hello friends

well my friend of late is expreincing a weird type of problem,, his box is 866 MHz celeron,64MB RAM ,8 GB HDD,, running win 98 along with RH linux 6.2 using lilo boot loader.... when he starts his system then after the first page tht gets loaded up ( the one which gives the BIOS version info and the disks and CDROM detection status) the screen gets black and again system gets started ,,and again after the first screen it agains restarts and tht first screen blink several times before preparing itself for a restart (lol...) and then usually after 5 to 10 minutes ( sometimes system gets started ina instant and sometimes it may takes upto half an hour to get to the lilo prompt) lilo boot prompt comes and then the sys starts,,,,
    any suggestions and opinions r highly welcomed
    thanx in advance
    vpandiya

I had a similar prob..

I had a similar problem.....but it froze at the splash screen and occassionaly restarted. For me, it was old video-card drivers. Reinstalled a driver and it worked. Give it a look...
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

The Iceman Cometh
    The way you phrased it seemed somewhat confusing, but basically, if I understand this correctly, the computer restarts before it ever reaches the LILO boot screen, correct? If that's the case, you're probably going to have to reinstall the LILO boot manager. To do so, you'll either have to boot into Linux with a Linux boot floppy (if you created one during the installation) or set it up again by booting off of the Linux CD and allowing the setup to rebuild LILO. Good luck.

AJ

Exclamation No not lilo

I also had lilo and I booted with the same except for win98se. When i started up i was two things that plagued me. Again your video card drivers or even a hardware conflict is the problem there and one of your windows files got f|_|c|<3D

Good luck
    I am just a reoccuring memory of that unfinished story that is our so called lives...

Check the folder through which you have installed the OS. Also check the LILO for the sequence. Make Linux default OS.
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=210 ۯ

UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity. Dennis Ritchie.

Is it not possible that this is a heat sink / Fan problem too? Or is it necessarily OS based? Because as far as my knowledge goes, one of the main reasons for intermittent shutdowns is improper cooling. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

And tell your friend to upgrade to RH 7.3. Its waaaaaaay cool

Cheers
    I blame you cos my mind is not my own, so don't blame me if I trespass in your zone!

THat could also be the problem. If you case is also newer or if your motherboard is also newer most of the newer stuff has automatic shut-offs when they get to a certain point. There is a way you specifiy if you want that feature on or off but there is always a 'safety temp' where even if that feature is off the computer will still screw up|shut down|restart
    I am just a reoccuring memory of that unfinished story that is our so called lives...