Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time limit on bumps

Time limit on bumps

I know there's been some discussion of time limits on AntiPoints and post bumps, and I know everybody has noticed all the old threads showing up on the front page. Well, I've finally seen something that makes me want to jump on the bandwagon. I'd like to share with you all a couple of screen shots of what I saw on the front page at 3:30 this morning.

I have to do this in 2 posts because I can only post 1 attachment per post, but you can clearly see what has happened here. In shot 1, you can see that the last post was in the thread "Unknown device (hardware question)" at 3:19. There's 3 minutes between my system clock and the AO clock, so that puts the time of the last post at 3:22 my time. Between 3:22 and 3:25 (see my desktop clock in the upper right corner), somebody bumped 9 threads all more than a month old to the front page. In shot 2, you can see that in the next 2 minutes, somebody bumped 6 more for no apparent reason.

Isn't there supposed to be a limit of 1 bump every 5 hours? I find it hard to believe that 15 people all decided to randomly bump old threads within 5 minutes of each other. There needs to be some kind of check in place to prevent this sort of thing. I'm in complete agreement with Terr and others that there needs to be some kind of time limit on this stuff. Or something.

I apologize for the attachments being a little on the large side, but I think everybody should see this.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

This is screenshot 2.

alright I know this is off the topic a little....but I was intrigued by the interface. I'm assuming that is linux, correct? And if it is....what version?

Now to the topic....I agree it's a bit ridiculous seeing threads from march just appear all of a sudden like that.
    The radiance of ignorace in a world of nothingness and all of this time your pestilence has created nothing but uselessness

But hey, JP made it so that only a person that has participated the thread can bump it up. It should be rather easy to see who has posted to each of them? Unfortunately I don't have the time to do it just now myself.
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

Yup, there are about 12 threads by the same user on the front page. And they're all old!
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

I was intrigued by the interface. I'm assuming that is linux, correct? And if it is....what version?
    It's Gnome 2 on Gentoo LInux.

OK... I've been thinking about this all day, and here's what I've come up with:

How about having threads auto-close if nobody posts to them within..... say..... 2 weeks or so? Once they close, they can't be bumped or replied to, so they stay buried where they belong. They're still available for people searching, and newbies don't reply unwittingly to old stuff. Opinions?

If the auto-close feature is implemented the limit should be about half a year or more. Two weeks is the current time after which the date on the posts start blinking.

Time limit on bumps however is a good suggestion, could be even 15 hours or something.
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

Okay, say maybe a month or two on closing. If you look at all the old threads that have been bumped up in the last few days, a 6-month limit would have still allowed most of them onto the front page. I think a month is plenty of time for somebody to respond if they're going to.

could be even 15 hours or something
    I know I've posted questions when I didn't get any answers, ao I waited until a time (sometimes a better day) when I felt like more poeople were on and I would have a better chance of getting a reply. If you're going to make it that short, you may as well get rid of it, IMO.

Old Fart
    This is an admirable idea to be sure, and the same thing is being discussed in reference to AP's in a thread started by Terr. You know, this wouldn't even be an issue if people would just pay closer attention to what they read....that flashing date is kinda hard to miss, yet miss it some people do all the same.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...