Thread: Windows Server 2003 and Macs

Windows Server 2003 and Macs

I'm running a small network of mixed platforms (win XP and Mac OS 10.3 boxes) with a Windows Server 2003 box as a fileserver. We have a constant problem of having the Macs be unable to write to or change directories when more than one Mac is logged in. I suspect there might be a connection to having one (or more) or the windows clients on at the same time.

I've checked the Macintosh share and everything seems to be in order, except that when a mac logs in, it can only see the windows share and logs in as such.

Now for the stupid newbie question: what the F*^% am I missing? This is driving me up a wall, and it makes our deadlines even more stressful due to redundant file checking and migrating to a Mac box before archiving the data. I swear, it's enough make me go get a mini and be done with it.

Any and all help is appreciated.
    \"I\'m not such a bad guy... once you get to
    know me.\"

T3h Ch3F

Greetings

Greetings Dr. Intrepid, I think you answered your own question, go get a mini, I use one in my office and it is very compatable with a small network such as the one you are having problems with. Use OSX Panther, and you should be good to go.

Just an F.Y.I. I noticed that you got negged pretty hard on your first post. Do not take it as a sign that you are not welcome here, just do yourself a favor by reading the new member FAQ.

Follow the simple rules and guidelines, including the one that discourages digging up old threads, and don't be a nuisance, and you will be just fine.

Welcome to AO, and good luck.

FAQ.
    Link>>> http://www.antionline.com/faq/faq.php

Edit------- BTW Be aware of where you post as well, this is not a MAC Security Question.

P:
    Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

Re: Greetings

I think you answered your own question, go get a mini, I use one in my office and it is very compatable with a small network such as the one you are having problems with. Use OSX Panther, and you should be good to go.
    I have considered that. My inclination, though, is to go with something with a bit more power behind it. The 2+Ghz G5 Imacs look pretty good for cheap lower end fileservers, but I'd definitely go with a copy of XServ(sp?) over Panther. I'm fairly certain it could handle it, but I have a certain prejudice against the workstation OS since my days with OS9.

Problem is, I've got to justify the cost vs. using the Windows Box we already have. It's a question of using the tools we already have until we can afford new ones. Decisions, decisions...
    \"I\'m not such a bad guy... once you get to
    know me.\"