Thread: Reporting And Stopping Internet Crime Against You

Post Reporting And Stopping Internet Crime Against You

Reporting and Stopping Internet Crime Against You - 4 Steps To Making Your Network/PC Secure

Welcome to my 6th tutorial, this one being on How to stop and report Internet crime commited against you. This is a one set tutorial and is hopefully going to help alot of people stop crime's against their network, their servers, and even themselves!

Step 1 : Patch all software and Check for updates

Every systemadmin or internet user need's to do the basic steps to making your system or network secure. That is to basically update all your software, download patches for some and to update virus definitions. Making sure that your definitions are up-to-date is a must for both systemadmin and normal user alike. By doing that, you are helping yourself secure yourself from virii, which indeed, changes rapidly. As I write this tutorial, loads of virii is being programmed and ready to be sent out to destroy systems and data. Well, you can do yourself a favor and protect yourself from it by having good and updated definitions. So, that is a must. Remember to make frequent checks to all software that can be updated and anything that can be patched.

Step 2: Firewalling Your System or Network

Almost every computer that is connected to the internet or every network is being scanned for open acces to hackers. Again, almost every computer connected to the net or network has also been broken into. Now, don't you want to protect yourself from this form of cyber crime? That is where firewall's comes in. They can moniter network/computer traffic, allow/disallow traffic, and in some case's, allow/disallow programs or applications. Two of the most popular firewalls out there, Network ICE's BlackIce firewall and Zone lab's ZoneAlarm firewall. Both are widely used and popular. It is recommended that you download this for your computer. Now, for network admin's/system admins, you should have an entire computer be devoted to nothing but serving as a firewall for your network. That would help to continue to make your network and/or computer secure.

Step 3: Intrusion Detection

Not to long after installing your firewall, you find that it has a notice.

The firewall has blocked Internet access to your computer (TCP Port 1214) from 68.32.116.75 (TCP Port 3585) [TCP Flags: S].

Whoa! Already, your finding that an attacker is trying to penetrate into your network or computer. Well, in this case the TCP Port 1214 was blocked off from the IP 68.32.116.75. Well, luckly, your firewall blocked it eh? Well, if you find that this same IP is scanning or trying to get access ( which is why Log checking and checking your firewall logs are a good idea ) you might want to report him to his ISP so they may deal with him. To do this, you wanna open your browser and hitt, SamSpade.org and find out information on our little attacker. It will allow you to see his ISP and contact their Abuse email. It would be Abuse@WhateverISP.com After that, they should repremand him in the right way.

Step 4: Fixing any problems

After securing your network or PC, you should follow this last step and it is simple -- Repeat step 1 on a daily or weekly basis. Continue to make checkups of what software can be updated, what can be patched, what virus definitions can be updated, etc. Also, if any damage was done while a hacker got in, fix it. Searching google.com is a good way to find different things that you need such as fixing a vulnerability.

Closing Message : I hope you all enjoyed my little tutorial on Reporting and Stoping Internet Crime. It is rather tiny, but it should help you nonetheless. I may be thinking on doing another tutorial somewhat of thinking of common network attacks and preventing them. Thank you and I hope you liked it! --Jason Copeland aka JCHostingAdmin

::Credits::

JP for inspiring me to follow through with learning about security with his tiny speech on his Golden Rule of Security.

Rewandythal for helping me figure out a topic to do for a tutorial while ripping hair outta myself in IRC.

Hey JCHostingAdmin,
    well, Really i do appricaite this....this is really a Good tutorial u'e written
    Anyway some still sound/looks old BUT all the same its all part knowledge and learning

Hrm.. What part is old that wouldn't apply to securing pc's and/or networks in today's age. Thanks for the "good tutorial" comment. I have two more coming out next week.

Kwiep
    People keep asking for that stuff and now they have it well ordered and complete... Good job
    Double Dutch

Thanks. I think people do ask about this stuff and I hope everyone liked this tutorial. Today, I will be working on two more tutorials to write so watch out for them. Im hoping everyone liked this one though

Banned
    Great tutorial, I like forward to your future offerings.

Ennis.

Thank y00 Ennis. I also like reading your tutorials, considering I haven't gotten to reading all 20 of them. Lol, but thanks man! I'll have two more coming next week. Thanks all! --Jason (JC) Copeland

Great work bro. Keep it up.

Thanks man. I'm hopefully going to keep it up with the How to Build and manage a Website V.2 and History of C tutorials that will be coming out next week. Thanks all!

Um, this has been bumped like 3 or more times now. Could whoever is doing it please stop. Thanks. I'm not saying it isn't a good thread, I'm just saying, stop bumping plz.