proxies

Thread: proxies

proxies

greeting fellow computer people,i'm new to this site but not to computers and since getting roadrunner my interest in security has increased.there are a couple of things i would like some help with.

1)how can you manually close ports with win98fe?
    2)what is an easy way to set up a proxy server?
    3)i've recently found several site that tell you how to turn an older system into a router using linux i haven't had time to try it yet,has any one else done this?
    there are only two things that are universal hydrogen and stupidity-frank zappa

I'm not so much of a windows afficionado, so some of what you are looking for is lost on me.
    However to provide you with answers that I believe to be reasonable :

1)how can you manually close ports with win98fe?
    as far as I'm aware, you would want to consider a firewall for closing up your ports. As I'm not much of a windows fan, this is one of those things that may not be fully accurate.

Ther is other information out there on hardening windows though. Take a look at this site.

2)what is an easy way to set up a proxy server?
    on a windows machine, check out tucows.com, or do a search for Windows Proxy Servers in google, you'll get more than you wanted.

Tucows.com proxies for Windows machines

Googled Proxy Servers, including setup pages, reviews and everything else you wanted to know.

All I'm trying to point out here, is that google.com is your friend for just about everything.

3)i've recently found several site that tell you how to turn an older system into a router using linux i haven't had time to try it yet,has any one else done this?
    This happens more often than you seem to know. If you are really new to Linux systems, you would want to consider Mandrake merely because it is of the easiest linux distros to learn. If all you really want the Firewall/ Router to do is packet filtering and the like, check out Devil Linux, a CD Based firewall router that all you really should have to do is drop the CD in the tray and boot up. Voila, firewall router. You will have to do some configuration, but when don't you have to configure anything?

Hope this helps
    Regards and good luck.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"