Dial Up - Networking

Thread: Dial Up - Networking

Dial Up - Networking

No not as in DUN.

Let me give a bref background. Ok i admit I dont have as much money as would like (who does) so I work with what I got. In this case what I have are 2 Windows XP computers networked together using a crossover cable and sharing a dial up connection. Believe it or not my other computer ( I will refer to now as Crash and my main computer as Root ) Crash is an old 133 with 64mb ram running Windows XP, This computer is awsome I have never met a minimum system requirement I cannot break with it (with an exeption to games)

Anyways, I have installed Apache PHP and Mysql all for windows and am in the process of setting up an intranet ( If my household ever gets with the times I plan on getting DSL and have 2 other computers that would be networked ( of course now with a router) .

My first question is : Is there a setting in apache to make it an intranet or another way to disable access to it from the internet ( i only want the computers in my house to access this) or do I have to set up my firewall to block port 80 and if I do that is it only for the internet or will it block my local machines from accessing port 80.

My second question is : Its kindof a project but if I was to put a Trojan on my crash computer and connect to the internet (via root) is this going to open a hole to Root since Root is where the internet connection is and it is filtering everything over to crash via PPPshare. I guess you would call it a honeypot that I want because I just want to see how long till the trojan is noticed, who all accessed it, the common origin of access , what was done with it and some others.

If the answer to question 2 is Yes it will open up Root then my new question is ( since I dont want to do that ) so if I was to put snort on Crash would it also monitor Root and block anything that is set up in my rules?

Just a little more background that might help:
    As i said I use PPPshare
    Root connects to the internet via dialup
    Crash is configured threw IE to use a proxy server ( wich is set to my ethernet cards IP address on Root [ie xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080] not my IP address assigned when i dial up to the internet)

I am not sure about the answer to the apache question that I have but I have a pretty good idea that putting a trojan on Crash will compromise Root because Crash only has a local address not a ISP assigned IP and everything is filtered threw Root to Crash, but I just wanted to get a defenite answer so I can know for sure. And dont forget if the trojan will compromise does that mean if I put snort on Crash it will also protect Root?

Do you get it? To much Crash and Root got you confused sorry
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!

Looks like no one wants to deal with this one
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!

Is there a setting in apache to make it an intranet or another way to disable access to it from the internet ( i only want the computers in my house to access this)
    Yes, you can bind Apache to a particular interface. I don't do Windows, so I can't tell you the specifics of Apache on Windows, but I know that in Linux you can do it by editing httpd.conf.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/bind.html
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

thanks for the reply I will look into it
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court