Thread: somebody must have screwed up, or was it a fluke? AIM

Exclamation somebody must have screwed up, or was it a fluke? AIM

I noticed this at 5:00 in the morning talking to him about cracking some of Bullfrog's file formats and wad files, when i deided to do a port scan on his computer, well in the process of doing that, i some how figured out his IP address, I don't know if i should do this but here is what i did.
    1. Start an IM
    2. Directly conncect.
    3. After your directly conncected run command and then netstat with not command lines

it should list all the network connections open to ur computer, somewhere in the list should be the persons IP address, it's a little disguised, but not matter it was his, and a hint, they were mostly down the list like the last connection open. it was psudo encoded like this
    dialup- xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx-richmond.level3.blah.blah was this just a fluke, did i just happen to get lucky, am i late on this subject? Or have I stubled into a security hole what, TELL ME i can't stand the suspense!!!!!!!!!

Uhh, sorry to bust your bubble, but that's old. No offense on the bust your bubble thing if anybody takes it wrongly (hehe, its something my friend says to his girlfriend to make the convo sound a little corny).
    Anyway, it's good that you discover things on your own. Everyone (almost) knows about that and so sorry to also kill your suspense.
    Umm another thing, illegal cracking isnt supported in this site (because were all people who take security on the positive side) and so I suggest you avoid things that have to do with illegal computer activity.
    Its your first post, its ok. Also pls. read the FAQ here: http://www.antionline.com/misc.php?action=faq

Phoenix666.
    NOTE---- you cant use netstat to show you IP adresses/protocols for a direct connection...neither can u use that to get an IP adress on a direct connection.

Originally posted here by Sosodef
    Phoenix666.
    NOTE---- you cant use netstat to show you IP adresses/protocols for a direct connection...neither can u use that to get an IP adress on a direct connection.
    I may not understand, but isn't that what he just did? Are you talking about direct connection in a different context?

It wasn't Illegal

To some the 1st person who replyed, sorry, can't remember your name.

I didn't do anythink malicous with it, i never even really gained anything out of it, just a security hole, i am not a hacker/cracker or anything like that, i am a programmer, i just wanted every one to know, but according to that guy, it's old, howver i did figure it out by my self, i think what may have given you the misconeption that i was trying to hack/crack his computer was what i said we were talking about, we were simply trying to extract some textures from a game, my friend likes to call it cracked just to get a rise, guess it kinda rubbed off. Also to the other guy who said that i couldn't use netstat to find my own ip, i know, if you were trying to say that i couldn't use it to find the persons IP, well, i know what i did (no offence if it seems to harsh or mean, i'm not like that)

Just a quick remark. Yes, you can indeed get an IP address on a direct connection through netstat. In fact, I can't think of any other way netstat would get IP addresses....
    The radiance of ignorace in a world of nothingness and all of this time your pestilence has created nothing but uselessness