Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AntiPoints as constructive criticism??

Question AntiPoints as constructive criticism??

Just a quick question about the way AntiPoints are assigned...

The other day I responded to a thread and in my post I asked a question related to the thread. Then the next time I log in I see that I had negative AntiPoints assigned from multiple users with comments telling me to start a new thread instead of asking a new question in a current thread.

Why do people use negative AntiPoints in this manner?

Wouldn't it be more helpful and constructive to send a private message to a user instructing them in the ways of the board if you have something to say? It just seems really unfair to do things in this manner and I believe that it could cause retaliation, and it really doesn't take longer to send a message than it does to assign negative antipoints. And since the question was related I don't see what the harm was.

Am I wrong about this? If so, why??
    Time is a created thing -- to say \"I don\'t have time\" is like saying \"I don\'t want to.\"

Lao-Tzu

Banned
    Dude Antipoints are pretty useless, in fact I can see no reason to earn them except not to get banned by having -whatever. So basically ignore them.

Oh by the way Jp, where's my damn AO lunchbox?

If you have read the FAQs and newbie tutorials you would not be asking this question. Please read all that I have stated and read the threads, familiarize yourself with the members and customs before posting, and you will have a much better experience here at AO.

I have read the FAQs and tutorials, but they don't directly address this issue. I've been a member of AntiOnline since Bub was around to answer security questions, I just haven't been very active in the forums, so although my profile says it I am not so much of a newbie.

It would be nice if there were some method of accountability in the antipoints system, that's all. The current system leaves a lot of room for abuse that could cause someone to get banned for really nothing at all.

Thanks for the reply, though!
    Time is a created thing -- to say \"I don\'t have time\" is like saying \"I don\'t want to.\"

Lao-Tzu

Re: AntiPoints as constructive criticism??

Originally posted here by bdhoff
    Wouldn't it be more helpful and constructive to send a private message to a user instructing them in the ways of the board if you have something to say?
    If someone gives you a piece of advice followed by taking a few APs from you, you are more likely not to repeat the offense correct? Well then their constructive critism worked!

Re: Re: AntiPoints as constructive criticism??

Originally posted here by Joey_Batch_File

If someone gives you a piece of advice followed by taking a few APs from you, you are more likely not to repeat the offense correct? Well then their constructive critism worked!
    But is that the point? I don't know. I'll let it go...I just wanted to understand the reasoning, but I suppose that different people are going to react in different ways. I'll just take Ennis' advice.

Thanks all!

Lao-Tzu

I'm somehow agree with "bdhoff" , there are some sinior members who like to play with antipoints and they use them just for balancing themselves. And I'm sorry to see that there are some friends which assign each other positive antipoints and when they do not like a member all of them ( guess 8 people ) assign to him negs and the person will banned.

just see the attachments and my related posts and see this funny sinior member who assign me negs just for fun. And I'm sure the both 2 negs are from 1 person.

But as Ennis said I just ignored them , because any positive or negative antipoint will not increase my knowlage.

I just attach this and I hope JP will do something againts such members.

BTW I do not care if I will receive negs 4 this post ...

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...268#post563268
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...975#post561975

Old Fart
    bdhoff...hypothetical situation here...yourself, ennis, j_b_f and aeallison are at a social function having a deep discussion about widgets. Suddenly I, someone you have never seen before, walk in off the street and into the middle of your discussion wanting one of you to explain a thingamajig to me. In the real world that would be a pretty rude maneuver, and the same applies here. In the real world someone can toss their drink in your face, call a bouncer over to have you removed, or something to that effect...in here, we have AP's...they are used to reward good and bad behaviour alike. The real world has judges and juries, but in here everyone has the potential to be an executioner. This has an amazing tendancy to keep undesirable behaviour to a minimum.

Basically all you did was commit a social faux paux, and you can't be in too bad of a condition because you're still displaying 2 greenies under your membername. Learn your lesson and go on...the same thing has happened to 98% of the rest of us too. Hopefully in the future we will be granted more control over how we distribute our AP's and situations such as this one will be more rare. Until (and IF) that day comes however, we must live with the system the way it is. Best of luck to you on future posts!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

In the real world someone can toss their drink in your face, call a bouncer over to have you removed, or something to that effect...in here, we have AP's...they are used to reward good and bad behaviour alike. The real world has judges and juries, but in here everyone has the potential to be an executioner. This has an amazing tendancy to keep undesirable behaviour to a minimum.
    I think allenb hit the nail on the head with this one. The real world isn't fair, and our use of AP's may not always be fair. It is a good alternative to flaming constantly though.

As long as you don't make a ton of neg's don't sweat it. I rarely get Ap's but that doesn't stop me from enjoying this place and learning from it. AO has a lot to offer besides AP's.

Originally posted here by allenb1963
    Basically all you did was commit a social faux paux, and you can't be in too bad of a condition because you're still displaying 2 greenies under your membername. Learn your lesson and go on...the same thing has happened to 98% of the rest of us too. Hopefully in the future we will be granted more control over how we distribute our AP's and situations such as this one will be more rare. Until (and IF) that day comes however, we must live with the system the way it is. Best of luck to you on future posts!
    I understand and I agree with you...It just rubbed me wrong at the time. I've spent some time looking around and I am beginning to see how all of this works.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

Lao-Tzu

Banned
    One more 'antipoint' in the title of a thread, and I'm gonna puke... This should've been in Site Suggestions or AntiOnline:How Do I? or What is? anyways...

I just checked my #GeneralChitChat logs: the word 'antipoint(s)' appears 60 times in a 6027kB log; I don't even wanna know how many time 'ap('s)' is in there...
    And here's your ultimate antipoint-resource...

I'll leave this thread open for further bitching and whining... I'm gonna close every new thread about antipoints in GCC from now on...