Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Help!

If you try linux may I suggest RedHat 7.3 or IcePack.

no errors...

I have the Red Hat 6.2 I havent tried the 7.3, is it much better. I havent use my linux in awhile. I hope to soon.

And then you install win2k/xp to next partition and then you get errors? I had this same problem, win 2k does not like to share drives, I had success when dual booting using two drives, install win98 first then win2k, win98 will dual boot linux on same drive, but not win2k.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

I have tried that also. I have multiple hard drives and I have tried multiple ways, with partitions and without partitions to install windows 2000, windows xp home, windows xp pro. None of them seem to work with my system. I bought a new motherboard a new chip athlon xp 1800, new hard drive. I think I have done everything possible but kill the sumab*t*H........ I know the programs work because they are working on my 800....

Linux......ya looking fine....baby....really fine.......rightta bout now.......

Is your mobo still reporting the wrong CPU speed, what brand mobo and model if you have it?

nooo, that is the one thing i was able to fix.....it just a bios thing.....When I was trying to install my Xp I went in my Bios and changed a few things, and I forgot to put things back and that is why my speed went down so much....it is correct now...thanks....still cant get my xp on this system....darn computer.

ohh, its a soyo model, something liek sy-k7ada, nothing big....

I found this info on your mobo, doesn't an Athlon XP 1800 have a 233mhz FSB? I don't think this board is supposed to support that advanced chip design, I am not sure how you got it to work anyway. Are you sure this is your mobo?

Soyo syk7-ada

doesn't an Athlon XP 1800 have a 233mhz FSB?
    266. I think. LOL
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

It is 266 FSB and is does support that chip design....or it better.....

it does, I dug out the manuel....

SY-K7ADA
    AMD Socket-A AthlonXP, Athlon & Duron Based ALi ALiMAGiK1 Chipset ATX Motherboard

Specifications

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Processor
    Supports single AMD Socket-A AthlonXP, Athlon and Duron processors (up to 2000+)
    Interface
    Socket "A"(462)
    Chipset Type
    Ali ALiMagic
    Chipset Description
    ALi ALiMAGiK 1 (1647 / 1535D+) chipset
    Supports 200/266 MHz FSB
    Form Factor
    ATX
    Memory Type
    DDR
    Memory Description
    Three DDR DIMM sockets support up to 3GB
    184-pin PC2100/PC1600 Non-ECC, Unbuffered DDR SDRAM memory

266. I think. LOL
    Yeah that is what I meant...LOL. Well, Ponders, I am out of suggestions right now. I wish I could help. check all your mobo settings is about all I can come up with I only installed XP for a day then went back to win2k, I could not make win2k work well with others. I tried a dual boot with win2k and RedHat and Win2k ate my RedHat partitions somehow. Even dual boot on two drives with win98 it eventually broke win98 too. So I put my OSs on seperate drives in hot swap (sort of ) removable drive caddies, and I just plug in the OS I want to use.