Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiny personal Firewall Vs Kerio

Tiny personal Firewall Vs Kerio

Hi I have changed my firewall from Zone Alarm to Tiny Personal firewall. I also stoped useing Norton Antivirus and started useing AVG antivirus.

There are several reasons why I made the switch. I did some searching for firewall information and found

http://www.wilders.org/firewalls.htm

Acording to Wilders, Kerio is the best. Of cource everyone has difernt opinions and ultimatly the desision is in the hands of the customer. I would like to know if anyone has used both Tiny and Kerio Personal Firewalls and could tell me what they think of the two.

I have yet to try kerio yet, but if anyone has I would be glad to here your reviews about it.
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

There both good firewalls. The truth is that setting up your firewall correctly is a 100 times more important then what brand of fire wall you use. Just try stay away from the junk firewalls like black ice and lock down 2000.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

I had Tiny and switched to kerio

a month ago. It just wouldn't work on my wife's and my network. We have only two computers but it never would allow her online no matter what I did. Finally, I uninstalled it and switched to Sygate (free edition) and haven't had a bit of trouble.

Wilders, I'm sure you saw, also rates Sygate as a best along with Kerio and others. I liked TPF but the free version is getting a little old. It worked, and worked well.

Kerio is based on the Tiny engine, and that's good. Kerio IS Tiny with some improvements. It's built by the people who developed Tiny and Kerio is an excellent firewall, uses few resources and I liked it except for the above problem.

I'll stay with Sygate. It's so simple to set up that even an old fool like me did it and it passes all the tests from pcflank.com and every other I've tried.

cwk9 is absolutely correct. A firewall is only as good as it's configured.

I personally use Kerio, and love it.

You might want to check out this thread: http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=232440

thanks for shareing your thoughts, and thanks so much for the link, I checked out the post and went to their web site, I decided to take kerio. Im finding resources now to teach me how to properly create rules for my new found friend "kerio"

Thanks once again.
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

Hey ele5125, I was thinking of making a switch from ZA to either Kerio or Sygate. Would you mind sharing the resources that you're using to learn how to create rules? Thanks.
    -Hadoob024-

ive tryed tiny and its alright as firewall sgo but overall i belive there are 4 firewalls unmatched by any other ones

1.Agnitum outpost (i use this)
    2.Zone alarm pro
    3.looknstop
    = sygate

In that order.

tiny is good but i belive these 4 are better, most reviews i see say the same as well. www.pcfalnk.com did a good review of firewalls.
    [gloworange]The Enemy Is Ignorance[/gloworange]

http://www.antionline.com/sig.php?id=194

I just clicked for www.pcfalnk.com but my proxomitron revealed the site could not be found.

As a side not, I have found www.hackfix.com to have a good review of Anti-Virius programs, they took a bunch of AV programs and tested them with difernt trojans to see which ones are detected, I found that link at wilders. Just incase anyone is also looking for AV reviews.

sorry

sorry, my bad, isnt my spelling great.

www.pcflank.com
    there we go all better

sorry
    [gloworange]The Enemy Is Ignorance[/gloworange]

http://www.antionline.com/sig.php?id=194

I just checked out pcflank and it was very infomitve, I ran all the scans, trojan scan, port scan, quick scan, exploit scan, and browser scan. I passed all the tests, except for cookies. Since I alow some cookies, while blocking third party.

Kerio seems very impresive and, now with the rule sets I got from pcflank I am able to properly configure my computer for maximum security.