Thread: Linux knowledge

Linux knowledge

I would like to start playing with Linux, and since there are so many "flavors" out there, I thought you guys may be able to give me some good suggestions to get started. I picked up a book called Linux for Windows NT/2000 Administrators. It seems pretty good for the basics. I have copies of RH 7.1 and Mandrake 7.1 - any recommendations to maximize my efforts to learn this intriguing OS? I would also like to pick up some pointers from a security perspective as well, being that I am supposed to be a Network Security Professional and all. Anyway, any and all help/advice is appreciated.

I personally like RedHat better, due to its interface. You may however like Mandrake better, since it all boils down to personal taste IMHO.

The best way to learn linux or anything for this matter, is to read, experiment, and never give up. Good luck!

Hey, have you ever searched first??? This is the second time (afaik) you ask a question that has been discussed here hundred times. Some newbies learned about this in a hard way. You've been warned.

Here are just two of many linux for newbies discussions:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=227038
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=220482

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

Head on over to www.distrowatch.com and do some digging there.......
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Thank you all for the information. And to jenny, I will get the hang of it soon enough, hince the title "Newbie." Thanks anyway for the condescending tone, but you can keep it.

God Bless.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

I guess some people are more sensitive than the others...
    No problem, always nice to know someone with lots of eagerness.
    Let's not waste AO valuable resources with already-answered questions.

Originally posted here.

How to not look stupid

I will let you know about a few mistakes many new people make, so you can avoid the usual fare of newbie stuff. The title is just a joke . We were all new at one point and we have all made mistakes. Don't worry if you make a mistake, or someone appears angry about it, they are usually only joking around. The most common mistake is posting something in the wrong place. This takes a while to get used to, but before starting a new thread, take a quick glance at the forums list and see where it fits best. Another mistake commonly made is creating a thread already made. It's pretty difficult going through all the posts to see if the new thread idea you have already exists but do a quick scan or use the search function to search for the thread.

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

i would recomand mandrake becuse redhat wasnt that easy form me when i started plain with linux

Well, I'd say that the best way to go about this is to just install one of your distros and go for it. Just play with it - that's how I first began with computers, just playing, seeing what happened when I did this, that, and such and such. IMHO, that's the best way to learn - hands on experience... Yea, you may mess something up but in the long run, you'll learn from your mistakes and such...

Personally, I would recommend to install Red Hat - it seems to be the easiest for someone who has never really messed with Linux before. I have Red Hat 7.2 installed on one of my boxes and I like it alot, but I know that there are others here who will stand by other distros.

Just my thoughts...
    - Maverick