Privacy and Human Rights

Thread: Privacy and Human Rights

Old Fart

Exclamation Privacy and Human Rights

Disturbing news on this front folks. 2001 could well be known in the future as the beginning of the end of privacy as we know it. While reading an article on ZDNET, I found a link to a 393 page report by Privacy International that covers the erosion of privacy and human rights in around 50 nations. This is a VERY interesting read people, and when you view the timeline up to 9/11/2001 and beyond, it does a good job of illustrating that FEAR (or at least the governments capitalization of fear) is privacies #1 enemy. Because of it's international flavor it is a MUST READ for 95% of the AO membership. Read this one slow and let it digest folks...it's scary.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Why is it that we can not be as laid back as our european counter parts? We worked so hard to become the land of the free, and we became the land of the iron laws. It would be nice to know that you are free in some manners, but in fact you are not. You are not even free to be as you feel in your own house. I would like to go into a story. Our new neighbors, were once members of a nudist colony, and they are often free to themselves in their own home. I have once visited, and had to wait until the were covered before I could enter, but it is not that way anymore, because I admitted I was not uncomfortable with the human body. I do not undress when I enter, I just allow them to be theirselves, but now they no longer can. Someone complained their child could seen in thier windows when it is dark outside and their lights are on. The child (14 - 16) must have been peeping with a telescope. They live two houses away, and I can't even see in their windows and I live next door. So here is two people that had a run in with the law for the freedom they should be allowed in thier own home, where is the privacy there. Another is P2P, I was in a band in High School, and we would distribute our demos, and receive feedback via e-mail. Now the RIAA and MPAA want to fight it, because their material is being misused on it. However again the IRC is untouched. Now can we take a look outside the U.S. in the first situation my neighbor was harrassed for walking around their house nude. Has anyone ever seen HBO, and how they would offer people X amount to shop topless or how people in europe pretty much do as they please? and I think Australia has it right with thier trying to block the US with interferring with their use of p2p networks. Why are we held down, and why do we no longer count as the "Land of The Free". So, "Under God" may be removed, what about "Land of the Free"??? Is that next?

if you want to know why all this is happening:

http://www.usnewswire.com/topnews/prime/0829-102.html

For the first time in the annual State of the First Amendment
    survey, almost half (49 percent) of those surveyed said the First
    Amendment goes too far in the rights it guarantees -- a
    10-percentage-point jump from 2001, which suggests new public
    concerns in the wake of the September 11 terror attacks.
    looks like its all about good press! our side has none.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

On the topic of RIIA(etc), because it has gotten to the point where corporations have more say in legislation than voters do. However we can't just lay the blame on corporations, it's our fault, as long as there's food on the table, a roof over our heads, a decent lifestyle, we dont care for anything else. It's the general voter's indifference to issues like these that have led to this(this is not directed towards those that write or call their congressman/senators up when they want to be heard).
    On the "PATRIOT" Act, our reps are not very good legislators if they sign a document without ever having READ it!

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

Old Fart
    I won't argue that one Tedob1. The press has taken an attitude over the past few decades that they have the right to know and report EVERYTHING. Can you imagine what the Kennedy administration would have looked like if he had been forced to deal with the type of journalism that Clinton was faced with? When it came to sex, Bill was a choirboy compared to JFK. Please note this is not to be construed as derogatory, merely illustrative of the degradation of media morals. When watching some of todays Whitehouse press conferences I am forced to supress the urge to 'bitch-slap' reporters who ask questions that can compromise national security. Exactly what is our plan for dealing with Saddam.....COME ON PEOPLE....lets just send him an engraved invitation...."President Hussien (sp?), You are cordially invited to have your ass kicked by the US military. Invasion will begin at the Kuwaiti border promptly at 6 a.m., Bhagdad time, 10/1/2002. White flags are optional. Please R.S.V.P. by 9/11/2002 Sincerely, George 43".
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...