Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name Change

Name Change

What is the possibility of getting an option of changing your nick? I know it may be a well mis-used option, but what if you put a 3 - 6 month block on it. User may change his nick once every X months? As most of you know my name is not Joey, and I just used something I can think of when I picked my nick. I don't know if anyone else feels the same way, and maybe add an option to recycle names after 1 year. With 100,000 users and more coming, you are going to end up running out of names. Exspecially giving one the option to change is nick every X months. just a thought.

[glowpurple]Just Remeber This:[/glowpurple]
    It would be a huge headache, but JP is a smart guy. I'm sure he could figure a way to work, and look at all of you. You are security gurus. Think about ways to counter-measure the negitivity. Don't just say Oh, Blah, Blah, Blah its not worth it this could happen, that could happen. You should all be thinking of ways that it could work if you implement this or that. I know you guys better than that!

Awesome Idea! I think it can work but someone could try to take say, negative's name or JP's name and Im not sure how it would work. Aside from that, it's a good idea.

Could get confussing not knowing who is who - plus what would happen if you changed your nick it became recycled and someone then changed theirs to your old one and started pretending to be you!? could lead to some major disagreements!
    I know how confussing it got with some peps cause my Login name is valhallen but I sign my posts and go on irc as v_Ln
    For a while alot of peps still didn't catch on that v_Ln is just me shortnin' valhallen...and they r one in the smae person!
    I think its not really an option that needs to be implemented...plus if someone really hates their nick sooooo much but doesn't want to lose their antipoint/post status perhaps they could email JP give a valid reason why they want to change and if they're v nice &/or lucky he might be able to help them out......

v_Ln

How could you use a name that is already in use? It shouldn't allow duplicate names, and someone else can already come in and make a clone name, but the point level / quality of post would be a dead give away!

Originally posted here by valhallen
    Could get confussing not knowing who is who
    There would have to be some ridiculous rules such as name recycled after 1 year, can only change name 1 - 2 a year. or just a 1 time option.

Yes, I actually sent a PM to JP the other day asking this question. I haven't received a response, though. I actually do have another account registered with the name I want, but I haven't used it yet because I don't want to have to start over with APs and posting history. If I could just change my nick, that would be great.

Of course, now my preferred name is gone, so I'd have to either prove to JP that it was mine or get another one. LOL

[EDIT]valhallen- The problem I see with JP doing it on a case by case basis is that if you do it for one, you'll have to do it for the rest. If I were JP, I wouldn't want to get into that business. Even though I asked him, I didn't really expect him to do it.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

would get hella confuseing...

and what if lets say I change my nick to HellBurnerz

and then someone goes and steals my old nick NetSyN

and people think hes me..

if u ask me its just a bad idea cause theres to many things that could be abused by it...

even if u make it so nicks cant be used if they were once used even if changed, then we will run out of good nicknames even faster ! !
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

C'mon NetSyn.. You know I was only going to use your name for evil, I mean good!

It would be a huge headache, but JP is a smart guy. I'm sure he could figure a way to work, and look at all of you. You are security gurus. Think about ways to counter-measure the negitivity. Don't just say Oh, Blah, Blah, Blah its not worth it this could happen, that could happen. You should all be thinking of ways that it could work if you implement this or that. I know you guys better than that!

Thats why I was saying you would need a valid reason.....
    say like the whole [FB Army] thing
    what if your nick had been just FBarmy everyone would have assumed you were part of that group and started hittin you with negs - even though you might not have anything to do with them - or I have seen a few cases where people have acted like idiots and gotten themselves bad reputations only to try and make ammends but can't cause people keep neg dumping on them cause of their name not the quality of their posts - you may ask why don't they just open a new account.....well I know as a senior member I wouldn't! Even if you took antipoints out of the equation you still have to think about things like post/tutorial count - speacil features like confrence rooms you've earned - PM u have saved - if you opened a new account all those would be lost!
    I don't mean that to open the flood gates for people looking to JP to have nick changes but perhaps under the right circumstabces it would be the best option....but not for those people who just want to change their name cause they r sick of being called pheer_me69 or something stupid like that cause those people should have put a lil bit more consideration into their name before they joined up!!

v_Ln

But the thing is, it would be very time consuming to try and figure out who deserved it and who didn't. I don't know JP, but I'm sure he's a pretty busy guy and doesn't have time to research every member who asks for a name change. Once people find out that he's doing it, he'll get flooded with requests and then he'll have to sort through them all. That's why I said if I were him I wouldn't want to get into that.

FB-Army had absolutely nothing to lose by just starting a new account. The guy we just banned got out of bed this morning 3 dots in the red. If he had just started a new account, he would have been 4 dots ahead just for showing up. There's no reason to give that guy a new nick. Just get him a new account and be done with it.

The situation we're all talking about is different. The thing is, if you have enough posts and enough greenies that you don't want to give them up, then I think it's unlikely you'll find yourself in that kind of situation. I can't see much valid reason for anbody who makes it past newbie to want a new nick except just to change, and if you're a newbie, most likely you don't mind starting over.

No, I think if it's going to be allowed it should be an option for eveybody. Maybe you could make it an earned benefit like the Addicts forum. Once you get so many APs or so many posts, you get to change your nick 1 time. Then both names belong to the account forever so that somebody doesn't come along and scoop up the old name and try to trade on it.

Like I said, I actually do have another account under a new name, just because I'm not happy with the one I have. Once I get access to the Addicts forum (the only benefit I'm really interested in, BTW), I'll probably start using it some to build it up.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Originally posted here by problemchild
    Once I get access to the Addicts forum (the only benefit I'm really interested in, BTW)
    Someone once told me that the addicts forum was only accessed once a month if that. I don't know if it is true, but they sure make it sound like it is just there, and is not really all that special. I know I can't wait to see what is inside.