Negative Points

Thread: Negative Points

Question Negative Points

I have a quick question. Personally I don't like giving out negative points and find far more positive things about this site than negative. I also don't like receiving negative points and have a fairly good ratio of positive to negative.

However, it seems that to stay in the good graces of the AP system I have to search out people to neg. I also feel that some of the negs I have received seem to be people looking for reasons to neg just so they get back into balance.

I have read and understand the purpose of the AP system and I like it in general. But to claim that a positive response isn't helping the site unless it is balanced with a negative one just doesn't seem to hold much water. Most people respond better to positive reinforcement than negative. Also, some of the negs come from people who disagree with me but are not upset at the quality of my post. I don't want to neg someone because they disagree, I want them to feel free to disagree so that there is debate, discussion, and open sharing of ideas.

I am sure this has been discussed before but I wanted to get some input here in general chat before broaching the subject as a suggested site change. Am I looking at this wrong? I would appreciate your input, and while you might neg me I will certainly not neg you for disagreeing with me.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

sodamoca i think the balance is key thing is gone so i dont think u have to worry about neggin ppl any more
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Negative

Sodamoca, I agree with you. I don't fully understand the way the points are used. I understand the concept (and it's a good concept btw), but not the way some people on here use them. I got negged today for an unknown reason. I also got a positive AP on the same post from someone who inserted a message stating "why'd you get negged?" I had no clue, and apparently, neither does the person who gave me positive APs on the same post. It seems as though maybe someone was looking for someone to give neg APs, I saw no justifiable reasoning to it, and the responsible party didn't even bother to insert a message to explain the slightest bit. I mean, my world hasn't stopped because I got my first neg, but damn, don't I deserve an explanation or something? I can admit when I'm wrong, but like I said in an earlier post, I appreciate "constructive" criticism rather than someone negging me just because they want to be "balanced." Oh, prodikal, is the balance thing really gone? I saw the message about being balanced every time I logged in today. What's up with that? Ok, I'm done bitching...

t2k2 i think it is truly gone dont see how u are getting it though do you have enough antipoints to start making assignments? do u have over 50 ? cuz i havent had that message in a long time
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out

Negative

Here ya go prodikal:

Your AntiPoint Assignments Have Been Unbalanced!

"Balance is key!" - Mr. Miyagi in The Karate Kid.

The AntiPoints System has detected that you've been assigning either too many positive, or too many negative, antipoints lately. Your responsibility, as a member of the AntiOnline Community, is to assign positive AntiPoints to posts that are helpful or informative, and negative AntiPoints to posts that bring down the overall quality of our discussion forums.

If you've only been assigning positive AntiPoints, it's time that you start letting the trouble makers know that their behavior won't be tolerated! If you've only been assigning negative AntiPoints, it's time that you thank other members of the community for their helpful thoughts and insights!

Take a look at the "You Tend To Assign:" meter on the left hand side of this page. It will show you in which direction you've been over assigning. Remember, your goal is to get the meter to be as close to dead center as possible.

If you ignore this message, and continue to be unbalanced in the way you assign AntiPoints, the system will reduce the impact that your assignments have on people.

Once you've achieved balance (or close to it), this message will go away.

Oh, btw, I have 98 APs.

hmm why am i not getting it anymore my ratio is 80%positive 20% negative and every time it went to 21% negative i would get mr miagi on the front page this is totally weird i will let u know if i get the message again but i dont think i will

EDIT t2kt can u tell me your ratio on what u have given out i have mine down to 18% now and still nothing

the balance point/fine line is at the 80+ /20- percentage point

the only thing that will happen if you aren't balanced is that your points assigned will be worth less if you're not balanced.. not a big deal imho

Re: Negative Points

Originally posted here by SodaMoca5

I am sure this has been discussed before but I wanted to get some input here in general chat before broaching the subject as a suggested site change.
    You're right there! Check out this thread.

I hate the whole "balance is key" thing. To me, it's like being told how to think. "If you dont assign points between the 80+ /20- percentage point then you're doing it wrong." Anyway, I wont go on and on. I made myself clear in the link above.......

Negative

Ok, maybe that's why I am getting the message. I have not yet given out any negs, only positive. I don't think I was able to assign any APs until yesterday or the day before since I did not have enough APs built up.

t2k2 your bar indicates you have not given out any negatives at all or it is such a small percent compared to your postives.

You do not have to seek balance... if u feel u dont want to neg anyone then dont! all it means is ur positives wont counts as much as they would if u had more balance...

So i feel if u dont have balance because u give out to many postives, dont change what your doing for anyone but urself.. if thats what you like to do then keep doing it!

--NetSyN
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..