Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banning - a new idea(!?)

Banning - a new idea(!?)

Ok I know there has been many posts about this subject but I have had an idea I don't think has been mentioned before so I thought I'd share it......

As most people have prolly seen there has been alot of [FB Army] people banned over the last few days - now I don't dispute that many of them prolly deserved it but perhaps some got banned purely due to their connections to the others?

Well what I suggest to comnbat this kind of situation is this....

When a person gets the required amount of antipoints to be banned instead of them being simply banned from posting they are put on a kind of probation - a time where they can redeem themsleves....they will recieve a warning stating that their conduct &/or posts have not been recieved well by the other members of the AO community and if they procced to conduct themselves in the same fashion they will be banned from posting on the boards.

Durring this time - which could maybe be for like their next 10 posts or something - they cannot recieve antipoints...now I know alot of you may think this is stupid as this will leave them free to flame and cause trouble for 10 posts witjh no fear of being banned etc but I think another system may work better.....

Instead of antipoints link there could be a link open only to senior members or members with a certain number of antipoints where they can give the semi-ban person a black mark for a bad post....a certain number of these black marks and they are banned.

This would stop people form neg dumping on them just cause they have a bad name and give them time to fix their reputation among the community.

Perhaps even allow the senior members/those with high enough antipoint status to award good marks to them which would cancel out more negs than the usual antipoint system so that if they do decide to mend their ways and their 10 or so alloted posts are good posts they may be able to start again with a clean slate - if all 10 posts have been awarded good marks by the higher members of the community.

We could take it back to a pre-school level and call the good marks gold stars and the bad marks black dots hehe

Does everyone follow me(!?) Ok I'll shorten it for those who havn't followed it or can't be bothered reading the whole thing

• A member recieves a large amount of antipoints and is put on probation
    • Durring this time they cannot recieve antipoints
    • But instead senior members or those with a high antipoint status can award them good/nbad marks
    • 3 bad marks and they are banned
    • Enough good marks and they start again with a clean slate

I just think this would help stop uneccesary bannings and help those newbies who have jumped into the forums without really knowing what its all about or how to behave to have a secong chance.....I know people can just start a new account but word almost always gets around who these peolpe are and I feel that I personnaly would have alot more respect for someone who has pulled themselves back from a semi-ban to be a good member of the community than I would for someone who has simply got a new account.....

Well is just an idea.....please feel free to give your own opinions as to how this would/wouldn't work - and if you feel it wouldn't why? and what would make it a more fesable/better system.....

after all this is our community - with thanx to JP of course!! =^_^=

v_Ln

it was most unfortunate what happened to the last of the fb-army guys, but thats what happens when you team up with screw ups. So he can come back by himself under a different name and be judged for his own merrits.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I know that if someone gets banned they can easliy just sign up again....but word always gets round that so&so used to be whoever and their bad rep follows them to their new nick...

What I suggest is a way for them to earn respect and earn a good reputation amongst other users rather than them trying to run away from their old rep and hide behind the facade of a new nick/identity

v_Ln

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    I think its a great idea.

/me just realized he did a one-liner.. oh well...

Old Fart
    I like the idea valhallen...it is definitely an idea of merit. It would allow them a 'cooling off' period in which they can either contemplate the error of their ways and correct them or go ahead and seal their own fate.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

you are right, that does sound more fair valhallen, when you put it that way.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

xmad with your realisation it actually became a 2 liner so ur ok

thanx tedob - I just think it would help some of those who don't know what the site is really like before they post and get themselves banned perhaps correct themselves and become decent members of AO

v_Ln

That reminds me of the kid in class that wasn't so smart, and the teacher would give him a star saying he's special.

Will the AntiOnline status change from AntiOnline Newbie to "SPECIAL"?

Heh hmmmm might be a lil bit too degrading maybe their status could change to
    on probation - with it linking to a page describing how the system works?
    well at least keep the link for a while till people get to know about it

v_Ln

Yeah maybe it could change to something Like AntiOnline Probation Member or Just AntiOnline Probation. I somewhat agree with this idea and Love it . Definitely have a lik to how it works because it can be confusing to some as if some features already aren't. Some people really need to read the FAQ to see what some features and whatnot is, that way people wouldn't be "almost" banned in the first place.