Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The AntiPoint Vendetta

Hi mom!
    The worst thing here are the witch hunts that appear occasionally. Someone asks something, or makes another contribution to the board, which is either misinterpeted by someone else, or someone else makes unfunded accusations, and the whole damn world follows the latter, dumping shitloads of neg's on the victim.

People in here should start thinking and checking facts for themselves before spending antipoints. I don't think that the antipoint system is to blame here, some people are just ignorant.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Old Fart
    I agree Guus, and thats the whole point of this thread. It's not the AP system that is at fault at all, it's a few of the people using it to abuse others for stupid reasons. I know I've hit a nerve with some people here, I've seen the red evidence in my own AP center and I'm glad I can see it. It means I'm right....it means there are people here who don't want the system to punish them for acting like schoolyard bullies with a fifth grade mentality. Every neg that moons me calls me a b*tch, a jack*ss or tells me that the giver 'rules' validates my point and puts a smile on my face. As I said in an earlier post, it reveals them as the true cowards that they are, afraid to state their opinions in a public forum where they have to attach their name to their words and reveal their true faces for all to see.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Hi mom!
    Actually, I wasn't talking of abuse. I was talking about the 'follow the leader' mentality that rules some people - it's not on perpose, it's acting without thinking.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

has anyone ever thrown the idea around of taking the anonymity factor out of it.
    this might curb some of the abuse. i saw a thread float around recently about how antipoints should be used as "constructive criticism", i agree absolutely. but people who can just assign with the comment 'dumbass' or something to that effect dont have to account for their actions and that certainly isnt constructive.
    im sure everyone here has gotten some rude vulgar message to that effect in their experience here, am i right??
    *the wise do sooner what the fools do later.
    --Gracian

The no-more-anonymity one has been bandied about quite a bit, and shot down numerous times. (Is it three digits, now?)... So, I feel it safe to say that the AP assignments are NEVER going to be forced out of anonymity.

If it's just plain laziness in reading, you can't do much. What I worry about more is when people check the dot status of the user and that subconsciously influences how they read the post.

What if the dots under the name were removed? You could still see them in the profile page...
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Thats actually a really great idea. How often have newbies had their posts go suicidal for a post a vet would get positives for? Its annoying to see them go suicidal before you can help that person out with an answer. I hope that one sticks terr. And I like that pattern recognizing idea, I was thinking maybe when that happens, the users could be flagged and an admin could check out their AP assignments to see whats going on and to see if they were abusing the system.

i dont mean to get away from the main subject here but how come i got negs for my last post here? was just a suggestion dats all
    and yeah i agree with kahkisrule about flagging the main neg abusers
    --=::[ LeNc}{ ]::=-- stealing your time for pathetic web sites since 1998

Old Fart
    hmmmm....how about a "top ten negative AP assigners" and a "top ten positive AP assigners" list on the main page? That would shed some light on the subject! LOL
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

I was going to post this last night...I woke up at 2 am with my face in the keyboard.
    how about a "top ten negative AP assigners" and a "top ten positive AP assigners" list on the main page?
    Good idea allenb1963, and dump the lists that seem to stay the same all the time, or maybe add a page like a top 10 or top 20 page that shows these. that might even allow for cleaning up the clutter on the main page. ( I think this has been discussed before although I am too lazy to look it up right now )
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I like the basic idea of the original post, especially terr's idea. Instead of giving someone negative points for their actions though, I think they should get a Mr Miagi style warning saying that they are being watched for antipoint abuse. If they continue, then instead of just giving them negative points...ban the account. That way they all have to start over from zero.

By giving them the warning, it will give them a chance (if it is coincidence). It's kinda like making a thread go suicide before someone gets banned from one post. During the warning period, it could/should be set where that person can not give/recieve antipoints either. They still make the assignments as normal (to get rid of the warning), but the assigment are always 0 points. The only problem I see with that is that someone could start giving lots of green points to someone they normally give red's to (and vice versa) just to get rid of the warning.

I am seeing way to many people get lots of antipoints that don't deserver them, and way to many people getting negative points that don't deserve them also.

the newbie that said something about 1 negative assignment would take him back to grey> The most any 1 person gives out right now is approximately 70 points. With 2 green dots, you need 200 negative points to go to grey.

top10 assigners> well, if you are relativly balanced, the people are going to be the same on both lists. The people that are abusing the system are giving eachother positive points, so they are staying balanced. I wouldn't be surprised if I show up on both lists, simply because I give out over 50 points per assignment, so the total points given out adds up really quickly.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman