Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pop-up ad makes my site inaccessible

Last edited by redhy; June 26th, 2009 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Deleting the contents. For privacy reasons. Sorry, I didn't find a way to delete the post.

right well not to make fun or anything, but that has got to be the gayest thing since big gay al. um it looks to me that you have yet to finish what you started.

-havanger

Well, i checked your website out, and i had no problems with any popups...of course, i was using opera, but i was able to view all your pages with no problems. Your site is very interesting. I think it has to be one of the better personal home pages that i have seen. As far as the problem with ie. You just have to blame microsoft. You could put a link on your page to something like Pop-Up Stopper. And include a footnote that it will make the page easier to view. I hope this helps. -cheers, th3>kLuTz
    M$ support is like shooting yourself in the left foot and then putting a band-aid on the right one.

well I tried to access your site using IE 5.x and I get no gator pop up ad. Actually I get no pop up ads other than that silly one that geocities puts on every page.

BUT the javascript you have there doesn't work with IE 5.x. I haven't tried it with Opera or IE 6.x as I'm on another machine at the moment, but just thought that you should know that with a 5.x browser it's not working either.

El Diablo

I tried your site with IE 6.x and it worked fine and no pop-ups but the geocitities ones.

I tried the site myself on a few different browsers, including opera, mozilla, and konqueror. No troubles had, though I don't have to worry about spyware on my system so much.

All things considered, it seems that the access issue is going to be on your own side for access purposes. Gator has targeted Ads via spyware which may prevent you from browsing as is normal. Try the instructions at this site to remove it.
    If that doesn't work, I believe that the Gator directory is GMT. Run a find for this directory on your system. Inside there is typically an uninstaller that should remove it from your system. If not, then you will likely want to remove the directory, and manually remove it from the registry, or make it easy on yourself and get yourself Adaware.

disclaimer : the following instructions are to be run at your own risk. If you are at all unsure about what keys to remove, then don't do it. It is easiest for you to just get yourself a copy of Lavasoft's AdAware

To manually remove from registry : start -> run -> regedit -> back up your registry ( file -> export registry, or Registry -> export registry [varies based on OS]) -> edit -> find -> gator
    This can be time consuming, when it locates the reg entry, delete it.
    repeat the find for GMT as well.

Regards and good luck.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

I didn't see any pop-ups either.

But, a small suggestion: In my opinion, Geocities isn't a real good host (neither is tripod or angelfire). If you have some time on your hands, take a look around for some better hosting componies. I know there are some that offer free service without ads and loads of space and bandwidth, and some even come with a cgi-bin (if you're into cgi programming). A good start for searching is http://www.freewebspace.net/search/power.shtml

Good luck

-Mike

Yeah, um, gator only displays ads if you have it installed doesn't it? The solution would be to get rid of it. Gator looks at the pages you are viewing and then finds ads that it thinks would appeal to you and uses them to cover the pages. Recently gator got sued for doing this, because gator was basically blocking access to certain sites doing this. There is only one way I can think of to get rid of this. Its gator only source of revenue I think.

Khaki's right, AFAIK. 'Gator ads' means ads CAUSED by the gator program, which does some sneaky stuff by replacing ads you see in pages with it's own ads. (Sort of like advertising stealing, isn't it?). It's not the problem with ads that are already there independently which advertise gator. Just uninstall the program.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

try changing web servers that gets rid of some of the ads... most of the time
    --=::[ LeNc}{ ]::=-- stealing your time for pathetic web sites since 1998