Thread: RIAA site defaced...again

Exclamation RIAA site defaced...again

Well, this is interesting. RIAA's site was hit again, and according to the article, it was more than DoS (or DDoS), it was a defacement. The mirror of the defacement is here.

The article is here: http://www.vnunet.com/News/1134758

Hackers managed not only to get into the server and tinker with the text on the front pages, but also to leave a stash of illegal MP3s for download from the site.
    Now, this does not make the case for fellow p2p'ers any better when crackers do these kinds of things, because according to the industry, not me, pirates and crackers are one and the same. I can picture it now, "See?? We need to get rid of this evil p2p! See what it comprises of? Evil hackers!" It will just make legislation go through faster.

I am not condoning illegal swapping. There are some legit swappers out there. However, I do think it makes it bad for everybody else when crackers go out there and rub it in the industry's face with taunts and illegal downloads from the RIAA's FTP or whatever. I do not call it having "guts" or "cool." I call it pathetic.

Oh another thing that might be of interest in the near future: http://www.vnunet.com/News/1134791 will it or will it not work? We shall see...

Thanks for your time.

No albn, thank you for the article. I think I've counted a good 4 defacements/hacks against them so far? No matter how hard they try, the RIAA won't destroy p2p sharing or anything like that. Period..

I have no idea what's going to happen JC. It's just interesting to see how this is materialzing. There are threats from both sides and it's war right now. It's very interesting, indeed

Threat's from both sides?!? What are the RIAA going to do against the people hacking them and whatnot? I think it is materializing to be a wee bit on the one sided kinda war because the RIAA is getting hacked like say every week and people still use p2p and whatnot. it is interesting but IMHO it is a one sided war. Kinda like how some politicians want video games banned because it "poisons the youth of america". Bull, video games is our only education..

JC, threats do not necessarily mean anything is going to happen. It something that could happen. The defacements happened, and the attacks are happening, and I am sure there will be more. But I question on what kinds of measures crackers and the industry are taking is what I am talking about. The crackers have defacement tools. The industry is trying to delete files, find ways slow down p2p networks, sue people, etc.

I just find it pathetic to go out there and deface, DoS and have illegal files available to voice outrage on what the industry is doing to them. It does not do anybody any favors.

As for the video games, I am dumbfounded. But I'll leave that for the other thread.

Lol, sorry, I'm deeply in the videogame/console buisness. Anywhoo, it is wrong to DoS the sites or hack it or anything but my point was that the RIAA won't stop p2p and IMO, they are fighting a losing battle.

ROFLMAO I hope their farce of a site gets attacked FOREVER. Their greed and shortsightedness will kill them and I will continue to help... SCREW them. They should stop robbing the artists they "promote". NO BLOODY MERCY.

Oh that **** is hillarious! I'm glad to see somebody has the courage to push the envelope
    Slingdeez

About the P2P poisoning article... I had this idea:

Market a subscription service that uses a plugin to popular P2P services. The user clicks on the file, gets an MD5 checksum or similar code from the remote machine, and checks the checksum with the online servers of the subscription service. The service will then verify whether that particular file is "real" and not a damaged or purposely fake version. The user can then make a choice on downloading it.

True, a hacked-up client would report false MD5s, but the majority of the clients would recalculate it correctly, and a fake version of a file could not propogate far ourside of 'conspiring' clients.

I was excited until I realized... The downside with this? The target customer group is probably using P2P precisely because they don't WANT to pay for anything. Bye bye subscription.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency