Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installation 3 OS in one comp?

installation 3 OS in one comp?

hi guys I've tried to install 3 Os..in my laptop which is XP,RED HAT and MANDRAKE.
    I've already make partition for 3 OS(I use partition magic software)..but when I've installed XP ,RED HAT and then MANDRAKE....mmmm only came up XP and MANDRAKE , I can't bring up my RED HAT LINUX. Any advised??
    Not an image or image does not exist!

I'm sure there are quite a few people who could help you with that( I just dont happen to be one of them ), I was just curious as to why one would 3 different OSs on their puter?
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

What boot-loader are you using? LILO, Grub, or a commercial one like partition commander?
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

Assuming all three are installed correctly is should just be a mater of configuring the boot loader.

3 OS's for three times the fun.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

yupe... I've been doing research for my experimen.For the red hat linux I use GRUB (I "ve tried to use LILO) and I added parameter: linux<param>..and after that I've installed MANDRAKE and when I turn on my laptop ..on bootloader MANDRAKE LINUx ..mmm..that RED HAT LINUX didn't came up...

OK second question... whats your partitioning scheme like?
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

I've divided my partition use partition magic software...
    1. 4000 MB for my XP
    2. RH linux I partitioned use disk druid;
    / 350 MB
    /tmp 100 MB
    /var 1000 MB
    /usr 3000 MB
    /home 4000 MB
    /swap 256 MB
    /boot 40 MB

3. for the rest of partition I use to installed mandrake using >># I let mandrake linux to devided partition using # use existing partition (free partition)..cause I've already devided my partition in 3 parts)
    this is how I done it..but I think I made mistake???cause..RED HAT didn't came up..

Thinking.....Thats an awful lot of partitions.....You'd have to use some extended ones.....Maybe Mandrake took over the Redhat partitions? Can you boot into mandrake and run fdisk? Try printing the partition table and see if anythings funny, like only one root partition. You do have one HD right?
    -Bad Religion

that's what I was thinking maybe mandrake took over RH partition..

Yupe I can boot into mandrake...how can I run fdisk..(I'm very sure one of the partition redhat error can't open...and how can I fix it..using fdisk?)
    You right I have only one HD

I'm sorry, you're gonna have to boot into single-user mode. Use the rescue option from the install disk. I assume all notebooks have IDE drives(I think??) so your command, as root, would be, most likely:
    #fdisk hda
    Then i believe p will print the partition table on the device. We need to make sure they are all there.....
    -Bad Religion