Astronomy Club

Thread: Astronomy Club

er0k

Astronomy Club

Y0 ppl, i have been thinking about proposing an Astronomy Club at my high school. We have around 500 students overall. Anyway to the point. I was wondering if any of you are or were in a club such as this at your high school, what it involves, and if its worth it. im kinda a freelance skywatcher and have been for a while now, just wanted something else to go on my resume, as well as something else i could enjoy. we have a good physics teacher that said he would be interested, i just want to know what you all think. Basically if its any fun, i know depending on the $$ and student number, but still.... im just teetering on proposing it.

Old Fart
    Sounds kewl to me...want some good free software? check out http://winstars.free.fr/english/index2.html
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Good idea, we had an Astronomy Club at our school. The thing is that it is expensive.. Very very expensive. And it takes a lot of time and effort to plan things. You need to have people with a lot of knowledge of the sky and telescopes. Good Luck!

I think it's a great idea. The good thing is that you alread have a teacher that's interested in helping out. We had clubs when I was in school, and I think it was a very positive experience for me. The experience is great, and if it just so happens to be the field in which you are interested, then that's a big plus! I say go for it.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Banned
    Sounds like a great idea,
    you might want to go to a nearby college or university and talk to one of the students or professors and have them explain how they set up their meeting and equipment.
    thats what i did I went to yale university and asked around the astronomy dept.
    I'm setting up a database where people can log on and type in coordinated a retrieve information on astroids and other debre in near earth orbit....

er0k
    that sounds really cool nth man, the thing is, the nearest university is 90 miles away. I dont want to waste gas money on just taking a chance of receiving valid info, at least until im sure of the club. we have a nice telescope, its like a 20 inch diameter one. the teacher in question is qualified, since he owns the telescope, teaches physics, physical science, and chemistry, and is an avid astronomer. i didnt get a chance to talk to the administration today, but ill try again tomorrow.