Thread: winipcfg & security

winipcfg & security

if you release your dhcp address (winipcfg) can your system still be hacked?
    there are only two things that are universal hydrogen and stupidity-frank zappa

Effectively, if you release the IP, then you no longer have an active network address. So to answer your question, no. It's kinda like having a car and taking the engine out. It's not moving down that highway any more.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    actually....there is always things like VanEck Phreaking... but if you don't have an IP address, then why have a network wire running to it? Unless you are on an IPX network or something, in which case you can still be hacked.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Souleman brings up a good point. I've neglected other forms of communications. I quickly assumed only one type of network communication was implied, when in reality I've left out some from my networking basics.. Ugh.. Time to go back to school, maybe this time for a computer class or two.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

hmmm....

theoretically, if the attacking computer is local on the network, i could see how it might be possible to point you at a different dns, gateway, etc. such that you'd be on one end of a man-in-the-middle situation.

this isn't so much a result of the release of a dhcp lease, but rather the continuation of handling for ethernet frames - and the process through re-establishing tcp/ip connectivity from a "trusted" source through a broadcast mechanism.

i'll have to put some more thought into it - but windows dhcp clients have had a history of being prone to suggestion; so it might come down to a pre-existing patch.
    -droby10

Thumbs up thanx

thenk you gentlemen for the info.i kinda figured as much,that its possible but not probable.I'll just keep on disconnecting the modem.

a modem...?

well, then i wouldn't be as concerned as previously illustrated as you don't have a ethernet interface (ppp) or it's virtual (some implementations of pppoe).
    -droby10

sorry i should have been more specific,i meaan a cable modem.how much difference is there in an isa 10/100 and a pci 10/100 nic?

Unless there’s a bottle neck in the isa bus then there should be very little difference in speed. And weather there’s a bottle neck depends on weather the bus can move data faster than the network card. It also depends on weather you running the card at 10 or 100 if your running it at 10 then the answer is almost a certain no but at a 100 im not sure.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

i'm speaking of the newer system boards with one or two isa slots