Server attacks stump Microsoft

Thread: Server attacks stump Microsoft

Server attacks stump Microsoft

Microsoft released further details of a rash of attacks on Windows 2000 servers that has so far stumped the software giant's research team.

August 30, 2002 PSS Hacking Alert - Microsoft

While the company wouldn't say how many machines or customers had been victims of the attacks, Miller did say that "it has been a significant number."
    What is worrying about this is that MS have not been able to determine the technique being used to gain access to the computer. There is also a text file called 'gates.txt' which contains 'a list of numerical Internet addresses' (IP addresses I am assuming). MS have no idea whether this is a list of computers which have been done over, or if they are potential targets, or anything.

MS are reluctant to let the MS Security Response Centre know about this trojan/virus/worm - yet they have no idea how it gains access to a system, whether it exploits a known bug or an undiscovered one, or what the IP addresses mean. And there were a significant number of attacks.

Does anyone else smell something fishy? Or is this just standard practice from the least security-conscious corporation on earth?

Old Fart
    Because of the nature of hacking, there is almost no way to fully certify a computer as "clean" of all malicious software or changes that are made during the hack. If you are sure you have been hacked, Microsoft recommends you consult the CERT documentation about how to recover from a root compromise:
    If you believe that you have been hacked, you may want to contact your legal counsel or law enforcement about your legal options.
    Two comments...
    1.) DUH
    2.) I think it's you (M$) that should be held legally accountable for incidents like this. From this report it appears that the entire Windows OS line is so 'leaky' that if it were a boat it would actually sink while in drydock! (and no, I'm not surprised)
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Thanks for the information, I am kind of suprised I haven't seen that announced...very disturbing indeed.

There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Flash M0nkey
    I am kind of suprised I haven't seen that announced...
    I ain't surrprised at all - sounds like something else for M$ to try and brush under the carpet!!!