Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible solution to stop ppl negging

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    v_ln> Thats what happens when you start incoperating things like top10 antipoint earners and banning by negative points. People start trying to extort the system in one way or another. I have heard about aliances from more then one person. I agree, they are complete bull ****, and if I had a way to monitor antipoint assingments, I would start looking for trends and ban any one or any group that followed certain trends. It wouldn't be that hard, because there are only 100 active members or so, but it would be kinda time consuming, and I don't expect JP to have the time to do it. So until then, we gotta live with the lamers that would rather mess up the system instead of using it the way it was ment to be used.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Negative points

I agree with your viewpoint shkuey. If the quality of your posts is overall positive and you are posting on a consistent basis, your positive APs will definitely outweigh the few negs you get. There will always the son of a seabiscuits that want to abuse the system since they have nothing better to do. I like the system as is for its checks and balances. As for those people misusing the system, what goes around comes around...in this life or the next. Keep your head up and keep making quality posts.

Peace.

but there are aliainces now!?
    Hehe...apparently Americans have watched a wee bit too much "Survivor"....LOL!!
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

What if there's nothing wrong with the quality of your posts? What if someone perhaps just doesn't like you for something or other? And sometimes it doesnt balance out for newbies...MHO.

\"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

Ok.... this is the first and only post I will make in an antipoints thread. I've avoided these like the plague because I don't think they're particularly productive, and because I don't like geting negged. I'm going to try to be diplomatic about this, but it's kind of hard to say this without ruffling some feathers, so I'm ready. But....

Yes, I think it's undeniable that there is an "in crowd" that likes to take care of each other with APs. I don't mean that they sit around and plot to give each other APs..... but I think there is a case of friends patting each other on the back. If you look at the posts, you'll see a lot of the senior members getting greenies off the scale for posts that really don't deserve it. Read through any of the recent antipoint suggestion threads and see how many of the senior members have gotten greenies off the scale for saying "Yeah, I think that's a great idea. I'm with so-and-so." And see how many lesser members have gotten negged.

On the flip side, we have a lot of members of lesser stature trying hard to get established who make consistent high quality posts, but they go largely ignored. I can think of several newbies I've seen recently who have made better and more informative posts than some of the senior members who seem to be raking in the points, but these posts are still sitting right in the middle of the "post assigned" meter. These people have to work 10 times harder for their points, and it can be a little disheartening for them to see some of the senior posts that get positives.

I guess what I'm saying is that the AP system seems to be more of a social club than a way of rewarding good posts.

That being said, I do agree with antihaxor that if the posts are up to par, they will rarely get negs. I've tried hard to make useful posts that people would find helpful, and avoid useless drivel. And for the most part I've been very fortunate with regard to negs. I've had a few stupid ones, but not many, and I just shake them off and go on. I've been fortunate that I've managed to accumulate a few greens, and I try to be responsible in how I use them. I try to be alert to newbie posts that have some thought behind them and help thos people get established in the community, and I try not to neg unnecessarily. When I do neg a newbie, I try to attach a comment they they will find useful.

After all of that grousing, I don't know that the system should be changed because, for all its flaws, it's a mirror of the world we live in. We have to deal with these kinds of things every day of our lives, and I don't see why AO should be any different. Life isn't always fair, but that's just the way it is. Whining about it won't help.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

well said problem child

though some people really need to take heed of

Whining about it won't help
    most of the time it just earns u more negs!!!

v_Ln

I say we get rid of the top10 AP earner list. "I'll neg that guy, they have too many."
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency