Thread: hda1 read-only

hda1 read-only

i have redhat 7.2 and windowsME both installed on my machine. <i am a linux newbie >
    i decided to try and make my windows files available on linux. i went to mount the drive w/ this
    command:
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows -t vfat -o,ro

this worked at school, i did it at home and i got this:

mount: cannot mount block device /dev/hda1 read-only

so can any linux guru explain how to get around this. how can hda1 be read only, i dont get it.

thank you in advance to anyone that helps.
    know how to sell your wares. intrinsic quality isnt enough. not everyone bites at substance or looks for inner value. people like to follow the crowd;they go someplace because they see other people do so. uniqueness appeals both to the taste and to the intellect.

remove the ro from the end of your command line. It designates "read only"

use : mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows -t vfat -o,rw
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

chefer: i tried it and got this-->mountption requires and argument --o

i tried this-->mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows -t vfat

and i got this message--> mount:block device is write-protected, mounting read-only
    mount:cannot mount block device /dev/hda1 read-only
    know how to sell your wares. intrinsic quality isnt enough. not everyone bites at substance or looks for inner value. people like to follow the crowd;they go someplace because they see other people do so. uniqueness appeals both to the taste and to the intellect.

Yeah... what he said.

Actually, I don't know that you really need the rw since I believe it will mount that way by default. However, if you want your users to be able to read and write to the drive just like under Windows, you can mount it with umask=000. Otherwise it will be read-only to everybody except root because of the default Linux file permissions.

[EDIT] Try mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows If that doesn't work, are you sure you're mounting the right partition? And are you sure you have vfat support in your kernel?
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

problemchild: i tried it your way and got the same exact message.
    as far as do i have support built in to kernel....doesnt the kernel automatically support the FAT filesystem?? and NTFS for that matter??

Ok, something is pretty definitely fscked. Sorry for the bad pun.

Are you sure hda1 is really your Windows partition?
    Are you sure your Windows partition is FAT and not NTFS?
    Are you sure you have VFAT support compiled into your kernel? (You do unless you've recompiled your kernel.)
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

the answer is yes to all 3 of your questions. it is windows millenium edition. whats weird is i have the exact same setup as they have at school and it worked fine today (me, redhat7.2). i have never done anything with the kernel as far as recompiling it. ill wait and see if anyone has any other suggestions, if not ill just give up, ive been messing with this for a couple of hours now!

thanks anyway.