Kazaa Port Blocking

Thread: Kazaa Port Blocking

Kazaa Port Blocking

Hey all,

I'm new to the forums, hoping someone might be able to answer a question I have. I'm attending college at San Diego State and under networking setup, like many other colleges, they've blocked several ports on their network so students can't access them. This includes ftp, and whatever port kazaa uses to fileshare. This is really distressing to most of the students here because of course, we want to share files! I've heard that there is a way to work around port blocking and to access kazaa as well as other ports/protocols - one thing I heard that apparently works is something called an http tunneler. I'm relatively good with computers but pretty new to networking and don't have much of a background in programming, so if possible, if there is a program out there that would allow this to be done without too much scripting or programming that would be great. Or if there is some easy way of doing this, even without a program, that would be fine too. If anyone knows how to get around this port blocking, I would greatly appreciate it!
    Thanks so much in advance.

Old Fart
    Ummmm.....this is a SECURITY site, not a hacking site. I'm not going to get into an arguement over the politics of file sharing here, but your school has it blocked for a reason. Any assistance we might give you in circumventing the network would be illegal. The best thing you can do is get yourself a dialup account if you want Kazaa.
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

See my answer to this question in another thread.

Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Nicely said Al. While I understand the school network has a really large pipe, file sharing apps can really bog down a network when KaZaA and ther such p2p apps are running. In my college, everything is logged and they prohibit streaming, certain protocols and have blocking software for certain sites including...ack...Hotmail!

Students have asked others on how they can get around these issues, but when you really think about it, it's not worth losing your school career and your future by doing these kinds of things. Your best bet is to do what your system administrator tells you to do.