linux: eth. connection way too slow...

Thread: linux: eth. connection way too slow...

Unhappy linux: eth. connection way too slow...

Hi guys,
    I'm having trouble with my linux box. I have a DSL connection and a small LAN. Now, my linux comp has been really really slow lately (maximum upload would only be 20k!). It only started acting up on wednesday (9/4/02). I also tested the other computers to make sure it wasn't the DSL connection, but their speed was fine.

I haven't installed anything or configured anything lately -- well, I did just put more memory in, but it was acting up before I put it in....

Also, even if I upload a file to my local server (on the LAN), it still only gets up to arount 10-20kbps.

Anyone have a clue??

-Mike

PS: My download speed stayed about the same I think...it's just the upload that's really really slow..

have i stumped everyone? isn't there something i can reset or somethin? any clues/ideas/thoughts? please, tell me anything!! also, here's the output of 'ifconfig eth0' if it helps:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr (mac address goes here)
    inet addr:192.168.2.146 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:1440 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:1548 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
    RX bytes:1343602 (1.2MB) TX bytes bytes:195536 (190.9 kb)
    Interrupt:5 Base address:0x2000

I'm really desperate....
    -Mike

I don't mean to seem like an ass...but if you are uploading something to your server over the LAN then your server is downloading it, so then your uploads/downloads are both slow.

Do you use a switch or hub at home? Have you tried resetting them? What kind of network cards are you using. Any details would be appreciated...
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

Good point, but my uploads to the local server were much faster than this before (maybe 1mbps)...plus I also tried uploading something to a remote server, and still it only got around 10k, and like I said, it's been faster before.

I have one 4-port 3com home ethernet gateway (router) that supports 10/100mbps lan and a 10mbps wan. My linux box has a 10/100 nic (Realtek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet). And, yes, I have tried shutting down the whole (4 computer) network (including the router and dsl modem), and still, no luck.

btw i'm using red hat linux 7.3
    -Mike
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption