Thread: How do YOU learn?

Post How do YOU learn?

With all the information in the computer field growing I asked myself "how do the people really learn all this stuff?" So then I got to thinking and concluded that the way they go about learning and how they comprehend and apply the stuff that they learned must give them an edge over others. So, I started this thread to share my way and learn of any other ways. To be basic, I reread the important stuff in the books that I have and then apply that to my computer. I thought this was an intresting topic so that others can see how you use and apply what you all know, also how you go about learning it. -Peace Out-
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...

I just learn by experimenting with things. I like to see if I can do new things just for shits and giggles, and usually whatever I pick up from it comes in handy down the road. I always tell people that to be successful in this field you have to have a natural curiosity about how things work

I've never had any training of any kind. I've never had a computer science class (aside from one Pascal class in college), and I've never written a line of code aside from the aforementioned class. I don't carry any certifications.

In fact, this is just a hobby and I don't even work in the IT business at all. I'm a lawyer.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

The best way to learn is:

1)READ
    2)practice what you Read
    3)READ AGAIN
    4)practice what you read again, and again, and again etc...
    .::nataS is WaTchiNg::.

they say that tactual learning is 90%.

Thats how I learn, I pour over the material I'm wishing to learn, then I apply that knowledge hands on.

I gain mostly hands on learning. I find learning in the classroom is quite boring.

I take classes and then practice at home and at work.

If I am interested in something, I'll write it on a sticky and put it on my huge "goals" poster.
    Aside from classes, I'll pick a stickey off my "goals" poster and learn that or a couple of them on the side.

There is a group of freinds from school that share like interests and we'll create a project and learn from and teach each other until our project is complete.

The cycle continues.

Phishphreek

Question

I learn best from just sitting down with something new in front of me and playing around with it. If I Break it owe well cause I will know not to do that again. I have tried to learn by reading books and such but the knowlage never really sticks around in my head for very long andI end up going back to the book If i need to find how to do something.

MAX_KOOL

The best way to learn it is to make sure that you really want to do it in the first place. If you are passionate about learning this stuff, whether it be security or programming or whatever, you will pick it up and run with it, no matter what your preferred method is.

I work with some people that are exceptionally intelligent when it comes to a myriad of computer skills. They have tons of experience and certifications, but they hate what they are doing. So when they need to learn something new it takes them forever to do it.

I love this kind of thing...I have since I got my first computer, a Commodore C-16, when I was a kid. The way I learned Basic was to just write Basic. I had a book to use as a reference, but I tried to write the code without using it. I did it that way until I went to college and took computer science classes, where I was a kid in a candy store. I just love what I do.

That is the key to learning. Just love what you do.
    Time is a created thing -- to say \"I don\'t have time\" is like saying \"I don\'t want to.\"

Lao-Tzu

Ninja Code Monkey
    Most of my learning is through books/web sites and practicing on my home network. Some is done through online training, a little through work experience, and last of all the occasional class.

One of the things I do is find a certification that I think will be helpful/interesting....then grab a study guide and use that as an outline of things to learn. It can be helpful to keep you on track if you are doing self study and in the end it can get you certified in something.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Well, here's a good example. I know nothing about video cards, I want a new one. I read all the reviews I can on them, go to various sites, and eventually get a pretty good grip on the fact that Nvidia is the company, Geforce is the name of a line of cards, and the numbers are units in the line, and 32mb refers to the memory directly on the card, and that blah blah blah...

The best way to learn is by finding something interesting and seeing where it goes from there. Learn as you need to do it, don't just grab a book and learn things you'll never use. That said, books are still useful.

To quote Baron Harkonnen (I had to look this one up in hardcopy):
    "Never obliterate a man unthinkingly, the way and entire fief might do it through some due process of law. Always do it for an overriding purpose -- and know your purpose!"

Which I would amend to:
    "Never learn facts unthinkingly, like you might for no particular reason. Always do it for an overriding purpose -- and know your purpose!

[HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Banned
    I always read the glossary and learn the technical jargon first that way I can skip the parts where the author is explaining things then move onto the 'HOW TO' parts of the books.