Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issue: Interaction of Suicide threads and AP dumps

Issue: Interaction of Suicide threads and AP dumps

Awful lot of AP threads out there... I think they're indicative of something... symptom, rather than cause. Anyway... Please read this out before making a judgement based solely on the fact that the thread relates to antipoints.

I think it's one of the more insidious practices going on here... A user will choose a bunch of people in a thread, none of whom they particularly like, and a few who they may want to get at. They then assign as many points as they can within the posts of that thread. The thread will often reach suicide, and after that point the assignments made in the thread cannot be reversed because AP assigning is prevented. It becomes inconvenient for other users to give positives, and the negative points assigned are more 'effective' from a sadistic point of view.

I would like to suggest that suicidal threads be allowed to accept POSITIVE antipoints. Thus, if there is enough community support, a thread may be 'resurrected' out of a 'suicide' attempt. Personally, I feel that many of the threads that are suicidal now are actually good, they simply sank to a low AP level and were stuck. If they had not been closed, the eventual AP levels would have evened out over time.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Not to mention it blocks discussion that could have taken place at a later time for example. I'm for it if that matters.
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

I think that's a really good idea, Terr. Unlike all of the other antipoint system suggestions, I don't see any ways this could be abused, or other sorts of conflicts.

The only problem is maybe it wouldn't be all that effective? Not being able to post in a subject would eventually put it pretty far down on the totem pole that is AO's forums. It might be a waste of time to make posts that won't be read very often Positive-Antipointable. (or whatever

On the other hand, there is that new "similar threads" function..

At any rate, i think it's an awesome idea.
    \"One wonders what would happen in a society in which there were no rules to break. Doubtless everyone would quickly die of boredom.\" -Susan Hawatch

Yeah, but...
    Thus, if there is enough community support, a thread may be 'resurrected' out of a 'suicide' attempt. Personally, I feel that many of the threads that are suicidal now are actually good, they simply sank to a low AP level and were stuck.
    I think that's a really good idea, Terr. Unlike all of the other antipoint system suggestions, I don't see any ways this could be abused, or other sorts of conflicts.
    How if the thread deserves to be suicidal? Some idiots could then resurrect the suicidal lame thread from the death and flame war starts again... It's still a good idea, but I think it could be abused.

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

Hmm. Well, on the other hand, if the idiots were already banned by the system...

I'd rather have fifteen (arbitrary number) stupid threads NOT be suicide-ed than get one good thread go suicidal. With stupid threads, people can always choose not to participate.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

the idea is very good yes, as there have been a few occasions where ive stumbled across a good thread that id like to add my opinion to, but couldnt due to it having already commited suicide.

as Terr mentioned, ressurections would be a good idea, but what about having some sort of limit on who may be able to ressurect the thread, how about it be based on amount of posts / points made / given.

the thread could be ressurected a few times but if it keeps going suicidal it obviously is not of much value to anyone, after going suicidal after say 3 or 4 times it would then be permenantly closed?

Originally posted here by ZeroOne
    You must spread your AntiPoints around before giving it to this thread again.

How does that look like? Should appear if ap's were given to two (or mayber depending on the number of posts in the thread) posts. Additionally it could just start to decrease the value of the antipoints given until they're "spread around".
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

Terr... Sounds like a good idea. However, if a thread goes suicide and you are still able to assign AP's to ressurect it, are you still able to post? "Common Sense Would Be No!" So if it takes three days to revive it, would the discussion still be a hot topic? Seeing the information is still readable. Since it is a good thread as a whole, wouldn't you just restart the discussion? Don't get me wrong, I think the idea is great, but logic is just leading me to think this is just a way to get +AP's assigned back after a suicide assigner went ballistic. I have been known to save a couple threads, I thought had some information that may be desireable reading.

I think if this is such a big problem, people should read the thread, and consider the state of the thread and the content of the thread as a whole before quickly dropping thier negs. If it is a good thread, but one nonsence post. Every body and there brother does not have to hurry to offload that one neg. If it was nonsense and you see he was hit once or twice you take in consideration of the overall status of the tread before tagging the person yet again. I think alot of this is up to us to make work.

Again great idea, but I wanted to add my 2 cents.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Personally, I don't like it.
    1> I could kill a thread with negative points, then bring it back with postives, simpley so I could give out more negative points..
    2> One good thing about suicide is that a newbie can not be banned from one post (the thread will suicide first). If that thread was brought back, more people could (and would) give that newbie negative points, and he would get banned.

And Terr> the idiots are not banned from the system. Some of them now have as many as 10 and 11 green dots because they have formed these groups that make a thread go suicide. But then they give eachother points so they stay balanced...and get more points at the same time.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Old Fart
    Maybe a good middle ground would be to have the resurrection based on the number of members who vote (limited to one vote per member) to revive it instead of relying on the AP system to determine it's ultimate fate. I like the idea of being able to bring them back, but souleman definitly has a point concerning potential abuse. I would also add that it might be worth considering having all the posts that occured before resurrection unable to accept AP's so the thread comes back with a clean slate and any previous 'lame' posts don't have a chance to kill it twice.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...