Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help...CISCO....

Help...CISCO....

Help!!! My boss has suddenly decided to leave the business and i need information fast!!! First question..how do i find out the IP address of a Cisco router thats sitting on my local network....

Thanks...

Hum.. need more details...
    Is the router your gateway?
    Do you have telnet/console access to the router?

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

We have 3 Cisco routers on our lan, 2 of them are unused and one of them is the gateway, i'm trying to find out which one, i have console access to the router but not at the moment as i'm at home...

If that router is the gateway, you should be able to find the ip address of the router on your terminal at work, by looking at the properties for your network card and it should be specified what the ip address for the gateway is.

Hope this helps.
    You\'re only jealous coz the voices talk to me and not you!!!!

The trouble is i have 3 Cisco Routers on the lan at work...2 of them are not in use so i want to take them off the network. The properties for my network card does indeed point to one of them but i don't know which one it points to. So i was planning on consoling into them to find out the ip address and details of each router..how do i do that ?

On the routers, logon on at the console or via telnet,
    (if via telnet, you will probably need to enter another password first),
    go to "enable mode" (type "enable" )
    enter the enable password,
    type "show running-config".

This will print the current configuration of the router, in which you will find the IP address(es) of the router.

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

i've inherited these routers along with the rest of the network, how do i find out the enable password ?

Cisco problem

Dove - you will probably have to boot into ROMMON so you can recover/change the passwords. Since I do not know what model you need, I searched for a link that shows links to discuss different models. The procedure could be slightly different per model. The link can be found here . I hope this helps. Don't you hate inheriting a network that's not documented? Good luck.

Thanks...i'll try it out on Tuesday and let you know how i get on!!!

another good simple solution for remote management checks is to grab a utility such as superscan and scan out your network for open ports.

I commonly do this when looking for switches, or wiping used NAS appliances (typically they have an open port 80).

just scan out for an open port 23, you may get a few, but you can telnet into each one and find out what it is.
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.