Home Network Problem

Thread: Home Network Problem

Question Home Network Problem

I am attempting to get my laptop to connect to my desktop and share the printer on the desktop. I have installed NETBEUI on both the machines (Laptop is Win 95 & the desktop is Win 2K pro) and I can see both machines via the network neighborhood. My problem is whenever I attempt to make a connection to the desktop either to map a drive or assign a printer port, I am asked for a password for the administrative shares (C$, IPC$, etc). I assume it is asking for the Administrator password, however when I supply it I get an "Invalid Password" error. Is there something I have missed here?
    Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Cheers:
    DjM

Hmmm, Did you try a blank password?

http://www.wown.com/

Try that website.... Its how I set up my home network back in the day

(Im assuming you have the WinSock updates for windows 95.....)

Thanks Alex, yep, I tried a blank, I also tried all the passwords for the 4 users I have set-up on the Win 2K desktop, no luck. I'll check the web link you gave me. And yes the updates are installed.

Cheers:
    DjM

The Iceman Cometh
    This problem is actually resolved very easily. All you have to do, create a user on your Windows 2000 machine with the same username and password as your Windows 95 machine. This will give that user access from the Windows 95 machine. Another suggestion is to create your own (manual) shares on the Windows 2000 machine... don't try to use the administrative shares. Just manually add a share for each drive or folder you need access to from the laptop.

AJ

avdven, I saw you lurking online and I thought you could help. I think you might have something here. I don't use userid's on my laptop (Win 95) as I am the only one in the house that uses it. If I create a userid "Administrator" with the same password as the Administrator on the Win 2K box will this solve my problem and where the heck do you add users in Win 95
    DjM

The Iceman Cometh
    Adding users on Windows 95? Geez... it's been a long time since I've done that. Um... I'm assuming there's no Users Control Panel applet? If not, start up your laptop. Once you have receive the login screen (I'm assuming you just hit enter or esc to get out of it?) type in administrator as a user. Then type in the password. First, you'll be asked to confirm the password. Then, it should tell you that you haven't logged in before and will ask you if you wish to create a profile. That should do it for you. If that doesn't work, let me know and I can quickly install 95 to a workstation and check into it for you.

AJ

avdven, thanks Mate, works like a charm. I'd throw more greenies your way, but the system won't let me.

Cheers, I owe ya a beer.

DjM