getting into bios on compaq proliant 800..?

Thread: getting into bios on compaq proliant 800..?

Question getting into bios on compaq proliant 800..?

Hi,
    I have a compaq proliant 800 server, and I really have no clue on how to get into the bios. It came with no papers and no manual because I got it used. It doesn't say "hit f8 to enter setup" or anything like that on boot. Only thing I do see is "Press F10 for system partition utilities". So I hit F10 but it says "The system partition utilities are not availble on this system."

How do I get into the bios??
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

I do not know the answer to your question but I did find a whole section on that server
    at compaq.. to visit that part of compaq's site Click here

They also have a forum there.. so if this link doesn't produce your answer, then check out their forum..

good luck..

It seems like you dont have a system partition, hidden partition on your harddisk with compaq related utilities etc.

You can still access the bios settings but you may need a System CD or the coresponding disk's from Compaq.

You may find what you are looking for here --> Compaq System Configuration Utility

Hope this help .

Yeah, Compaq has a weird habit of storing BIOS, Drivers and other things on a seperate partition on the hard drive.... Have you recentrly installed Windows, Linux, Or messed with your partitions?

http://www.compaq.com/support/files/..._1131.html#142

Thats what your looking for, It restores the system BIOS on the ProLiant 800

PS: To restore the BIOS you will need a few MB of unpartitioned space on a hard drive....

Thats what your looking for, It restores the system BIOS on the ProLiant 800
    Corection .

The bios should still be there intact with the last settings saved. You dont need to create a system partition to access the setup utility and the bios. You can run the setup utility from fdd or cd whenever you want to make changes (it's more conveniant and faster to have it on the hdd and that is usually prefered).

Compaq usually have other utilities aswell which also are stored on the system partition, all depending on server and online boards you may have.

~micael

sorta correct answers and sorta not, hit www.compaq.com/support or get your hands on a copy of smart start, if you need I can possibly send you an old copy. There truly is no actual "bios" persay on a compaq proliant server, simply an NVRAM based bootloader that is setup and changed by way of the interface loaded on the diagnostics partition (that odd fat 12 partition) you really dont need the partition at all, however if you want to make changes to the servers nvram you will need to boot off compaqs smart start software if the diagnostics partition is unavailable.
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

thanks alot guys
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption