Easier txt formatting with CSS

Thread: Easier txt formatting with CSS

Flash M0nkey

Post Easier txt formatting with CSS

Ok after looking at some of the pages on OSWD I noticed that some of them used CSS (cascading style sheets) so I decided to have a wee look into them and see if they can make writing html easier!
    Now I have read a bit on how to use them I thought I'd spread the knowledge a lil in the hope that'll it'll help someone else on AO out a lil....
    here goes...

What is CSS?

CSS or cascading style sheets are a way of setting the different properties of a webpage alot easier than typing it up everytime!!
    It means that instead of having to write <font size="2" color="#ffffff" align="left"><u> all the time you could just write <u style="main">

But in order for that to work you have to define your style sheet

defining style sheets

You have to define your CSS between the <head> tags of your html document and it would look like this

<head>
    <STYLE type="text/css">
    <!--
    .main { color: #ffffff; font-size: 2; text-align; left }
    -->

</STYLE>

the makes the txt invisible so your browser doesn't try and display it
    now .main is you class name and the bits between the { brackets is the formatting
    note that you don't have to leave the spaces - i do as i feel it makes it easier read but you do have to put a semi-colon between each!!

what tags can i define?

H1 through H6
    P
    BODY
    A:link (That denotes the unvisited link)
    A:visited (That denotes the visited link)
    DIV (That denotes a division of the page)

and as you saw above you can also alter text by placing the style= after any thing that alters text like <u> or [b]

Using more than one class

You can apply many different classes to a single thing but just make sure to use different code words

Asiging different classes to the same tag

You can assign multiple classes to the same tag such as

H3.fst {font-size: 20pt; color: #FF00FF}
    H3.scd {font-size: 20pt; color: #FF00FF}

just by placing a different keyword after a fullstop

Using 1 style sheet for multiple pages

You can also set up one style sheet and have your pages link to it to recieve the formatting information

<LINK REL=stylesheet HREF="http://www.your.page/yourstylesheet.css" TYPE="text/css">

the above command calls the style sheet

In order to set up a style sheet just open a new .txt doc now type up your style sheet - this will be the only thing in the txt doc - no <head> tags this time!
    Save it and change its extension from .txt to .css

Then upload it to the location specified in <LINK REL

Sources

Ok thats about all I learnt so far tonight - when I get to use them a bit more myself I might do a more detailed tutorial on them

heres where i got my info ->

enjoy

v_Ln

Banned

Wink

awesome i was just asked about this by one of the people i work with .. now i can give them some insight and point them toward your post .. thanx

Very nice post val not that i am surprised at all your post always seem to be worth reading keep up the good job =)

--NetSyN
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..