Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking back on 9/11

looking back on 9/11

Looking back on sept. 11, 2001
    Ive heard many stories on the news from Many republicans, our former president, and many other high and mighty people on there point of views of what has happen sence then.
    I want to hear your point of views on the year sence the attack. Do you think we made any head way sence then? What would you like to see happen in the year to come? Feel free to post what you think, but please keep this discusion clear from flames or wars; we all have are own point of views, but that doesn't make them right or wrong. All I am saying is respect one another opinions in this matter.
    thank you.

In memory of all that gave there lives. God bless.
    [glowpurple]Ctrl Alt Delete is the answer to lifes problems.[/glowpurple]

Well, one thing I can say is that it brought many people from many different cultures together here in America. I expected that we as a whole would come together and hold our heads high in the face of adversity. I think that the bond is not as strong as it was during the first few weeks/months after the attacks. However, my overall attitude about our recovery is very positive. I can't believe it's actually been a whole year.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

I think that the positive effects were only seen in a small number of people, realizing they were not as safe as they previously thought and allowing them to change their lifestyle a little bit.

However, I think that the media coverage only sought to make hatred worse and causes mor pain today then good. Now we are faced with a people that utilize the Trade Center as a cause to fight a war against innocents and guilty a like.

I say pursue the guilty but treat it as we did with the Timothy McVeigh issue. Only go as far necessary to apprehend the guilty.
    A slice of \"Controlled Paranoia\" is worth it\'s weight in prevention......Of course Stupidity and Faith is just fun!!!

Over here in the UK (well at least what I have seen), There was a dramatic push in airport security (or so the media were saying).
    I have been abroad twice since the terrible incident, once to Gran Caneria and then (recently) to Amsterdam (to see friends from the 'net').

The Gran Caneria trip was no diffrent from any of my other hols via plane, this was only a few months into the new year. On the way back though, there were armed response police partoling the departure entrance, but there wasn't even anybody waiting for us in customs. I dis not see any form of security until I left the terminal.
    This may be because they were watching us via CCTV, but more likley ther Gran Caneria isn't realy counted as a terrorist country.

The Amsterdm trip (5 days), this want from Birmingham airport again, there was even less security than the last time. It looks like they are only monitoring certain flights from certain countries. Alternativly they are just not doing anything.

I remember the anthrax scares. The post office seems to be the biggest area for changes. I saw in the news that some guy sent some sand home to friends and family from florida, becasue it was white. That's pretty scary.

It hasn't realy affected me personaly though. I thought that it would, I mean it was horriffic, I was watching the live news just after I had my lunch when the second plane hit. I was nearly sick. Why did they have to show the closeups of people jumping to their deaths though?

Anyway, I am sure that it changed me in other ways, more subtle than I can see. After all it has been a year.
    4C 69 6C 4E 69 63 6B

I remember, I was in math class when i first heard about the first plane hitting...Then next class(English) we watched on as the 2nd plane hit the building..at the time, It was hard to take serious because we had no idea what was going on at the time...But not after almost a year and hearing the facts, its still hard to understand how someone could be so ****ed up in the head to do such a thing. I dont really kno what to say cause im still nto sure what exactly to think, I dont let it phase me in my normal day to day life....I'm just lucky I guess that I didnt have a loved one or relative somehow affected in thos whole matter...

on a friends conputer (and login) so please dont blame him, but whilst it was a terrible thing to happen (and a sh##house thing to do) it was a year ago , and before and (probably)after many worse things have happened...
    \

in Aust (not speaking for all) have seen alot of it lately ..... probably too much.....
    seems to be being used too much as a political mechanisim (at least here).....

terrible thing to have happened but not very nice to see such an incident used as a vehicle for other means.....

commiserations to anyone who has lost someone.

B.

esp. for the people on the last plane who brought it down before hitting target (if that is what happened, i wouldn't know) much respect.

I am speaking for only myself but I think more has been lost then improved since 9-11 in the last year. Simple fact is the US goverment for that matter any goverment entire response systems are based upon attacks from another Nation. They are ill prepared to respond to hate groups which Terrorist are nothing more or less only a Nation. Further more no Nation is responsable for the hate groups that may crop up in their boarders that are delt with within their own laws if they are known. Throw in the world media that no longer reports true facts for the most part but creates power for such hate groups and you end up were we are one year later, nations that pass laws to restrict privacy, and personal freedoms because of a few hate mongers that understand the media hype gain power. Much was lost on 9-11 and in the name of a thing called Terrorist, now ask yourself this if because the US was betrayed by a few WE all must give up our personal rights and freedoms with the excuse to weed out the few. Homeland smaks of Hilter I'm sorry I have trouble with the term it was used to build the Berlin wall. Every nut case or hate group in the world and some Nations have really little free speach now have a valid reason to hide under a "National Security Threat" anyone that goverment thinks or is termed a threat (there goes free speach) in the US. THINK about what you give up to be safe, me I am a dman target everyday when I walk out the door maybe an accident or maybe a hold up or mugging that is called the world from the moment we are born we all live to die someday. I am not some stay at home person I have an international family and yes I do go many places some very high risk but know what people life it's self is high risk.
    Peace
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

I arrived at work and a co-worker told me that a plane hit the first tower. Then I watched as the second tower was hit on a computer hooked up to pick up tv channels. I work at a technical support center and we had about 40 some accounts within the trade centers of which a few of them were talking to their account manager when it happened. What I remember most is that in a time when we would normally have 80 people on the phones taking calls and 30 waiting up to an hour to talk to a tech, I had no one on the phones. We could stay in available for the whole day without anyone calling.

That taught me about the global impact of the event. My co-workers had a sister that was on the flight the day before, she was devastated. One of the supervisors had a roommate who lived in New York, he was scared. We had an engineer visit the trade Center the day before, he was shocked.

To me it was a Day of Silent shock...Kind of like listening to TAPS at night before bed in Bootcamp.
    A slice of \"Controlled Paranoia\" is worth it\'s weight in prevention......Of course Stupidity and Faith is just fun!!!

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    When I look back at September 11th...first I remeber an urgency, when my mother called me telling me to turn on the T.V. I hung up with her and clicked the T.V on. I witnessed the second plane hit a few seconds after turning the TV on. Still drowsey from my heavy sleep, I felt that somehow that these things werent happening. It was quite a somber moment. Nothing was said, nothing was though, only watching, praying. From the television, I witness people jumping out of buildings, some holding hands even...to imagine the desparity those people must have felt at that time...But that doesnt compair to when the first tower collapsed.
    I also felt a great feeling of desparity. I started looking around for someone to help at first, but found nothing but my prayers. In that moment I felt A great loss. I like how Obie Wan Kenobe said it. " I felt a great disturbence in the force." But as I watched the second fall, I felt a sence of failure. Falure as a society. As Humans. Failure to complete one of our most basic abilities to "Play well with others".
    Other than that I will try and remain as silent as possible on Sept 11th. This is not a holiday, this should not be exploited any more than it already has been.
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

Most of you are the same but the way I look at it is yes it was bad and I will go along with you on that but from the computer stand point the Gov. is using it and other events to kill our rights some of you might know these thing some may not but if you don’t you need to find out what going on behind all the flames buy the news and them using your fear and your hate to do away with your rights.