problem of redirection under IE after mispelled url

Thread: problem of redirection under IE after mispelled url

Question problem of redirection under IE after mispelled url

Hello, everyone.

As a newbie to this site (but not really to security systems), I've got a problem with IE:
    When i type a mispelled URL the "cannot connect to server" page appears but just after that there's a redirection to a search website (www.lop.com). I went there and I can download a desinstaller but before I wanna know what setting they have modified into my IE.
    Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
    [shadow]Auron[/shadow]

Which version of IE have you got? I'm currently on a computer that uses IE4 (sick...) so I can't actually check v.5 or 6 settings, but at least this 4-version has got a Searching button in its toolbar which opens up a new frame for MSN search. They may have replaced the default search for that. Another possibility is some proxy-program running between the IE and the net catching all your typed addresses and committing a search if it's not found, so check your proxy settings. Also check the ctrl-alt-del -list to see if there are any suspicious processes.

Always use a firewall, a spyware remover and an antivirus programs.
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

hey zeroone could u seggest me some nice spyware removers???
    buying M$ OS is like ordering a soup where u gotta pay extra for the bowl and spoon....and each time u order something new u gotta pay a huge amount for a new table!!!

something else that is odd to add to zero's thoughts is that when i tried to go to that site in Opera, the site ddint exist at all which seems strange, sorta suggests that it could be some sort of thing that is targeted specifically at IE users?

to get rid of the redirect you should just be able to change it in your internet options, should be something like 'seaerch from address bar' with a check box.

also at the top of your IE window does it say something like IE provided by 'insert company name here'??, if it does your IE is a modified version and not an original version

Exclamation precisions

I've got IE v5 and my first problem is not a problem on the searching toolbar... Moreover I'm running outpost firewall.
    The strange thing is that the error page is displayed, then after a few seconds time out, IE goes to the url www.lop.com
    I didn't try the searching toolbar but it may has been modified too.

Any ideas? maybe some modifications have been done into the registry...?

Auron
    [shadow]Auron[/shadow]

I myself use Lavasoft Ad-Aware as a spyware remover. Get it and scan your system.

Sure the registry might have been modified, I believe IE saves almost all of its data in it. Just open the regedit (Start | Run | "regedit.exe") and search for lop.com. (The general warning: if you're messing with Windows registry, you can badly break your computer. Don't do anything you aren't very sure of what it does.)

Does your firewall log any odd data sent before the search takes place?

When did this strange behaviour of your IE started? Had you just installed some new software or did you buy your computer as used and it was there already or what?
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25