Linux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux

Banned

Linux

what's the difference between red hat 7.3 pro and personal, besides $140? my basick concern is that if i get personal is that i wont be able to server files from it, and not be able to see my network

Just download it for free. Personal will serve files. Pro just comes with more CD's and more apps and **** to try.
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

Yeah, just go over to RedHat.com and download 7.3. You can download the ISO's for three CD's for free and burn them yourself. You get to pick whether the installation is a workstation or server setup, so there is no problem there.
    Time is a created thing -- to say \"I don\'t have time\" is like saying \"I don\'t want to.\"

Lao-Tzu

for anyone looking at this thread that doesn't know linux very well:

You can Download free ISO's (cd images) of most distros of linux for free from most of the homepages of whatever flavor your looking at. They also offer it in stores as well for a price. There is no difference except documentation that comes with it. But all that documentation is online as well, so there is really no reason to buy except to contribute money to them.

Also, if your linux disto does not have ISO's for download off their main page, try WWW.Filemirrors.com and search there. You will find a lot of isos and such there.

Hope this helps a few people at least.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Originally posted here by cross

You can Download free ISO's (cd images) of most distros of linux for free from most of the homepages of whatever flavor your looking at. They also offer it in stores as well for a price. There is no difference except documentation that comes with it. But all that documentation is online as well, so there is really no reason to buy except to contribute money to them.

Also, if your linux disto does not have ISO's for download off their main page, try WWW.Filemirrors.com and search there. You will find a lot of isos and such there.

Hope this helps a few people at least.
    LinuxISO.org <-- This also provides iso downloads for alot of the distros available.
    It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in an argument.
    --Uknown

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=200

Cross and pandora: thanks for the information. This is very helpful for me.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

We were just adding an extra link in with cross' post. thanks goes to him honey :-)
    It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in an argument.
    --Uknown

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=200

Originally posted
    They also offer it in stores as well for a price. There is no difference except documentation that comes with it. But all that documentation is online as well, so there is really no reason to buy except to contribute money to them.

Actually, one of the things that don't come with the downloaded version is StarOffice, there maybe more but essentially it is all there, and OpenOffice is to be had as is basically the same thing as StarOffice.

Banned
    Originally posted here by cross

You can Download free ISO's (cd images) of most distros of linux for free from most of the homepages of whatever flavor your looking at. They also offer it in stores as well for a price. There is no difference except documentation that comes with it. But all that documentation is online as well, so there is really no reason to buy except to contribute money to them....
    Well, I would have to agree with your first statement. Lots of popular linux companies now offer business packages, their linux distro along with some special software which usually varies from distro to distro. For example, Suse offers a professional package, that comes with xtra software and some stuff to increase business productivity, but it isn't free and isn't downloadable. It is part of a special package that is quite expensive. There are also special CDs for the suse e-mail server, database server, web server, and a firewall. Those are all under -business solutions- on the suse site. Anyways, I just wanted to say, that professional packages and business packages are often different from what the company might be letting you download.

Banned
    did any one now anything about the super dlx simulator and where to dwonload from.