Thread: Socket Programing Question

Socket Programing Question

I have not programed in about 3 months and am getting withdrawls, ok lets get to the point.

I want to learn Socket programing and found some good tutorials with winsock for windows. Upon trying to compile a sample client, I noticed that my compiler was missing some files so I found out that I need to download the winsock.h and winsock.lib, so I found a link..

http://www.snible.org/winsock/

and they say to get them from:

ftp://ftp.stardust.com/pub/winsock/version1/dev/

But they aint there, and everywhere I go on google All i get is a link to stardust, but no winsock to be found. I did a file search and found I already have the winsock.dll (dynamic link library) so all I need is the header and library files.

Is there somewhere I can download them from?

EDIT:
    =================
    It's ok, I found a new site to get them from:\
    http://212.219.56.131/sites/ftp.micr...inSock/spec11/

Now it is trying to tell me I need windows.h, I found some information about it and a place to get it but I suspect I will be needing more then just windows.h, any sugestions?
    test

What compiler are you using? These are usually standard libs in most windows compilers. Try another compilier.
    May I suggest www.bloodshed.net I use it and it hasn't given me any trouble
    Civilization. The death of dreams.

digitalgadfly is right dev-cpp is excellent.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Maybe this will help...

Please find below a list of liks to a series of articles I have posted on AO with regards socket programming. Article 1 shows how to build a netcat style command line socket app, 2 and 3 show how to use this to exploit services on other websites, and 4/5 shows you how to use proxy servers to use the code anonymously.

Have fun

Scripting Internet Connections Under Window$
    Search Engine submission 'exploit'
    Google 'exploit' - TCPUtil pt III
    Cloaked Exploit Scanner Part I and Part II
    \"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.\"
    Sir Winston Churchill.

I just downloaded the latest beta version of dev-c++ thanks for the sugestion, im in love,

EDIT: Thanks for the cool links ntsa, I will definately read them...

The compile I am complaining about is djgpp, when I used the zip finder to tell me what files I needed to download, I told it I wanted win32 deveopment , i also chose to have the online documentation and rhide for my IDE.

Anyway forgeting about djgpp and moveing onto my new found friend dev-c++

I now recieve linker errors,
    [linker error] undefined refernce to WSAStartup@8

atached is my source, anyway the error seems prity simple, I would assume that one of the header files is missing, or somewhere is a typo, note that this is an example client that I downloaded somewhere. I would assume they would have included all the headers nessisary, therefor I should not have this problem.

I have read and understood the full source, there is only one refernce to WSAStartup() and that is a single function call, the arguments passed are pre defined so I don't see anything to complain about.

Can anyone give it a look over and tell me if I am overlooking something?

==================
    Ok I found my mistake, the linker needed to be told to link in wsock32.lib

so what I had to do is used the project options and add this stuff to the linker comand line

-mwindows -lwsock32
    test