Xbox Live to Target Hackers?

Thread: Xbox Live to Target Hackers?

GreekGoddess

Exclamation Xbox Live to Target Hackers?

Microsoft may backtrack on an earlier pledge not to use its Xbox Live online gaming service to crack down on "mod chips"--chips that modify the Xbox console so it can run copied game discs and unlicensed software.
    Read the full article here.

Oh great, and guess what I brought on the weekend....

/me mutters
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

"I don't think this will affect modding very much," added Dan "SiliconIce" Johnson, founder of the XboxHacker Web site. "Mod chips can simply be switched off when the user wants to play on Xbox Live. That's if Microsoft even checks, which we are still not certain of."

I think Microsoft should focus more on securing the subscriber's credit card number in their Live subscription service. In recent articles, Microsoft said that they have a military/industrial strength type of security that they are employing to keep such valuable data safe from malicious hackers and such. Now I'm a little skeptical, just because there is a possibility that such data could be intercepted while in transit, while it travels from the client to Microsoft server perhaps.I may be wrong....I hope it doesn't turn out that way.
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.-Reaper Man

i think the xbox wont last too long online, using a downgraded version of windows 2k, its wont be long till the network is subject to worms, viruses and flooding.

As if Microsoft could make a bug-free o/s anyway

Preep
    http://www.attrition.org/gallery/computing/forum/tn/youarenot.gif.html

Originally posted here by preep

As if Microsoft could make a bug-free o/s anyway
    Ummm.... Show me a bug-free operating system.. I don't know of any OS which can that claim...

Anyway, the cut down version of windows is very cut down.. ( I think it occupies around 3MB memory when running)... Now, since they are working with a much smaller frame, it is possible that they were able to make it quite secure....... But either way, its just a matter of time before an attack is released which targets xbox's or the xbox live service... the fact that it has Microsoft written on it just makes people want to do nasty things to it...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Bottom line -- buy a PS2 instead.
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

long live PS2 there online willl spank Xbox like its games already has. ALos if microsoft makes aomtin to trace mod chips u know someone will make one that they cant pick up in a matter of time.

From what I have read the first edition mod chips couldn't be turned off but the new generation can be. It also appears that Microsoft will be hittting hard and heavy on modders. I have an Xbox, love it and can't wait to test the waters when Live is up but no way am I going to solder a chip to my video game to win online games. Now putting Linux on it would be interesting and I may do more research. According to a bill they are trying to pass here carries a 5 year term for modifying hardware to play counterfit software. I myself don't mind spending cash for the games, I just go to the pawn shop where I can pick them up for $20 a pop instead of $50. This is an excerpt of the Microsoft ad for an xbox related position, please note the game hacking referrence,
    SOFTWARE DESIGN ENGINEER [Job Code: N05rc-eu ]

This person will be responsible for collecting, evaluating and conducting analysis of modification chips as well as tracking information & feeding back to the product team. The candidate will also be responsible for conducting security design reviews on Xbox hardware & software, and will assist in designing hardware detection code fragments to be embedded in future versions of the product. To be considered, candidate must have familiarity with x86 assembler, PC bus architecture and boot sequence details. Hardware knowledge and low-level software experience required. Working knowledge of cryptography & common copy protection mechanisms a plus. Preference is given to those with hardware backgrounds and game hacking knowledge. BS in Computer Science or Computer Engineering required.

I still like my Atari 2600 with Asteroids.