Thread: firewall (port 1028)

Question firewall (port 1028)

I have just installed a firewall (Zone Alarm Pro 3 Trial Version).
    It says LEXPPS.EXE is listening on port 1028 . I searched the internet and all I could find out was it was installed by my printer.

What is it and why would it want to listen on port 1028 (act as a server) ?

Lexpps looks like it might be a Lexmark printer... is that the kind of printer you have?

Thats what I was thinking. Are you running any kind of server? Anything at all? If you aren't, its entirely possible, that somebody just renamed a virus to something more common, in any case, if you aren't running a server deny that file access, and virus scan it ASAP. It might not even be a trojan or virus, maybe just something to open up ports and accept files. So if you know you aren't supposed to be running a service, that deny it access, at least until you can verify what it does. Also call up lexmark tech support, or check out their site and look at FAQs and maybe e-mail a rep.(only if you have a lexmark printer) otherwise contact the appropriate company. Oh, and you can get free trials of popular AV software and you can get some for free. Goto download.com and look for a good one.

well i done some searching and the most i found out that it is for a lexmark printer or it could have been in drivers have you recently downloaded new device drivers for a printer ? and the reason it is holding a port open is that LEXPPS.EXE is used over a network are you on a network ? and you have to uninstall and reinstall the drivers or something if u try google you will only get about 9 hits on lexpps.exe so u shouldnt have to much reading to do
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Someone is accessing your printer from the 'net... Check your NetBIOS

It doesn't appear to be a virus (scanned with NAV2002 with latest definations). I am not on a network. The only programs acting as servers are msn and yahoo messenger.

I found the page http://groups.google.com/groups?q=le...ftngp04&rnum=1
    but atfer uninstalling the printer drivers LEXPPS.EXE is still there and wont delete. (I have tried from DOS but it recreates itself)

I have now emailed lexmark (their site contained no information about this file) and have denied internet access to LEXPPS.EXE.

Thanks for the information.

Oooooooo, perhaps polymorphic virus?? My system didn't detect the one I had, so I deleted it and it came right back. Usually there is something that is recreating it. Make sure nothing unusual is loading at startup. I actually dunno how mine was working but my pt 23134 was open. Weird huh? Yeah, sometimes viruses are able to recreate themselves. And one more thing, it might be a legit file that windows is recreating, but, well, if you found little on a google, then I doubt it.