Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modems for Linux & Windows

Modems for Linux & Windows

Which modem would any of you recommend buying to work under [Mandrake-Linux] and Windows? I am currently at *cough* staples.com looking at either U.S. Robotics or Zoom..
    And I know I should stay away from Winmodems

Since you are online why not check out which of the two is compatible with linux? Ive seen a Best Data external modem that says it is compatible with linux on the box, so Best Data could be another choice you have.
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times

Thanks,
    I've heard somewhere that as long as its not a Winmodem then it would be compatable with Linux.

I know from past expierence that the U.S. Robotics will work. Here are some links that will help you out.

http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/PCImodems.html
    This has model numbers

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/hardware.php3
    The link says it all

Supported:

3COM 56K OfficeConnect
    3COM 56K PCI
    3COM 56K Voice/Fax PCI
    3COM Sportster 56K
    ZOOM 2948 56K Fax

Good luck
    Civilization. The death of dreams.

Thanks!

if you are willing to spend money may i suggest buying an external moden it will work both in windows and linux
    or have you got your sights set on a lovely internal modem that doesent take up desk space seriously though an external modem will work on both OS if you really want a internal modem compatible with both take darksnake`s advice and check modems you have been pricing for compatibility in both OS`es or look for device drivers on modems you have your eye on just my 0.02p
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Some more info:

On the external side of the house you have:

CREATIVE LABS Modem Blaster Ext.
    VIKING External Windows Serial 56K Fa

I would suggest the Creative Labs, that is what I used in the days before broadband. I dualbooted also and it worked like a gem.

Originally posted here by prodikal
    if you are willing to spend money may i suggest buying an external moden it will work both in windows and linux
    or have you got your sights set on a lovely internal modem that doesent take up desk space seriously though an external modem will work on both OS if you really want a internal modem compatible with both take darksnake`s advice and check modems you have been pricing for compatibility in both OS`es or look for device drivers on modems you have your eye on just my 0.02p
    I will definately do that, thanks for all your responces.
    I will say this though, even if i do buy a modem and need particular drivers, I always seem to buy the ONE that doesnt support any of this...but maybe im just being to pessemistic

if you do decide to take the internal modem choice you might want to take a look here www.linmodems.org they have lists of device drivers under mandrake for internal modems just tought you should check this out
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

All the modems that I have listed are 100% Mandrake and Windows compatible. If money is an issue then you can always check ebay out. There are usually tons of modems floating around on that site.