Thread: About to Install Linux

About to Install Linux

About to Mandrake-Linux, wish me luck...
    I will now have a tripple boot PC once again

Good luck!

what a pointless post!
    http://www.attrition.org/gallery/computing/forum/tn/youarenot.gif.html

Why so negative preep....relax a little.

I was wondering if you are triple booting can you tell me what boot loader/manager you are using. As far as I am aware you need a special boot manager for more than two operating systems. I might be wrong.
    Civilization. The death of dreams.

OK, you're wrong.

You can do it with any of them, but I think grub is the easiest to deal with. See this thread for reference, where I explained how to do it with grub.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

digitalgadfly, LILO and GRUB can handle more than two operating systems. I have Mandrake Linux 9.0 beta, Windows 2000 and Windows 98 on the same machine. In Mandrake control panel, you can configure the boot images and the like. As for other distributions, you can read more about it here http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/LILO.html

As for the installation of Mandrake Linux, it is probably one of the easiest out there right along with Red Hat. I am kind of wondering... why did you announce this? Do you have a quesiton? Just want us to know what you are installing? Please reiterate. I do not understand the point.

If you have questions or run into snags, www.tldp.org and there are really great articles, e-books and how-to's there.

Other than that, I do not know what else to say

What I had used was partition magic on Windows98SE to cut my HD up into three partitions, then I installed WinXP, and finally Mandrake 7.2 with LILO. What that did was, on startup, send me to LILO where I have the option to choose from Linux, Failsafe, Floppy, and Windows. At selecting Windows I would then be brought to another loader, one in which I select from Windows XP or Windows98.

I am kind of wondering... why did you announce this? Do you have a quesiton? Just want us to know what you are installing? Please reiterate. I do not understand the point.
    Why did I post this? No I dont have a question. I was just wondering if I was able to get any kind of "support" from the board because this was kind of like a little experiment for me ( the sh$@ just kind'a hit the fan on the first attempt, was very messy )

I appologize if I have in any way inconvenienced anyone.