***Sorry i spelled the word imagie instead of image i noticed after posting it but it doesnt allow me to change it***

Very often i ask for a picture and when they send it to me its almost 500-1000 Ks!!!!

on a dial up this is a big problem for just 1 picture!!

So im gonna teach you all a very simple method to makeing your pictures smaller!

Okay lets take a screen shot

1. Hit PrtScrn its above your Insert key which is above your Delete key!

Next lets paste this picture

2. Open up MS-PAINT and hit CTRL-V or hit EDIT PASTE

Next lets save the picture

3. Hit FILE then SAVE AS now here is where we reduce the files size big time... where it says SAVE AS TYPE.. the defualt is BMP which are extermely large compared to JPEG so change the BMP to JPEG aka JPG and save it !

Ta da your done!!!!

Simple eh? Then why dont newbies do this!??!?!

Another thing you might wanna do is take a already saved picture and reopen it in MS-PAINT and even thought it may say JPG format try resaveing it in JPG format and u might be surprised to find the picture can sometimes be 10xs smaller then it was!

It is a common myth that JPEGs make files smaller then GIF which is not always true..

GIF files are compressed by looking for horizontal patterns. As pixels are stored in memory by going across row after row, patterns of identical horizontal pixels are saved only once and then are just redisplayed. Therefore, images that have rows with the same color or horizontal patterns that are the same may be much smaller as a GIF than as a JPEG.

To reduce the size of a GIF file, reduce the number of colors that make up the pictures. Programs such as Photoshop make this easy to do. Many images can be reduced to 32 colors or fewer with only a slight loss in quality. The best way to experiment with this is to reduce the colors from the master (using the UNDO command each time) until the image is unacceptable, and then go back up one step. Many buttons and small images on the Web can be made with just a few colors, which makes for much smaller GIF files.

JPEG files are better at storing subtle shades of colors or photographic images. The more colors used in an image, the better the chance that JPEG will create a smaller file than will GIF. Images that have many changes of color across horizontal rows will also be best saved as a JPEG. For example, a picture of TV static, while made up of only a few colors, will make for a much smaller JPEG than GIF file.

To reduce the size of a JPEG file, reduce the quality of the final image. Unlike with GIFs, there is not a great savings in file size for reducing the colors in the image. In most programs that create JPEG files, the level of quality can be selected. Many times, the lowest quality setting will produce acceptable results. To explore these options, start with the lowest quality file and move up until the image is acceptable.

Use this to ur advantage when trying to make a picture smaller for sending to friends or using on websites!!!

Please for the sake of us 56kers use smaller pictures and less quality when high quality is not needed!!

Check out this info when it comes to files !

With 400x400 pixled imagies this is BMP vrs JPG vrs GIF

FORMAT Solid Black

BMP (Bitmap) 161.078 KB
GIF89a 0.622 KB
JPEG 2.207 KB

FORMAT 3 Horizonal black lines

BMP (Bitmap) 161.078 KB
GIF89a 1.232 KB
JPEG 10.666 KB

FORMAT 3 vertical black lines

BMP (Bitmap) 161.078 KB
GIF89a 4.879 KB
JPEG 10.822 KB

FORMAT Random black sandy effect

BMP (Bitmap) 161.078 KB
GIF89a 198.968 KB
JPEG 80.873 KB

Counclusion

Selecting the appropriate file format for can make a huge difference in the time it takes a Web publication to load. A good rule of thumb is that images with few colors should be saved as GIFs, and those requiring many colors saved as JPEGs. However, if the horizontal rows of pixels change frequently without patterns, then a JPEG may allow for a smaller file even with a few colors. If designers can save a few kilobytes on each image, it can drastically improve the loading time of image-loaded pages for users with slow connections.
I suggest that when takeing digital photos you make sure their format is JPG even though a file might say *.jpg doesnt always mean its format is *.jpg because much software will open a *.jpg in a *.bmp format so double check before you save

SOURCES

Information and ideas for this article came from these two books, both of which are good for Web site designers:

Siegel, D. (1996). Creating Killer Web Sites. Indianapolis, IN: Hayden Books.

Weinman, L. (1996). Designing Web Graphics: How to Prepare Images and Media for the Web. Indianapolis, IN: New Riders.

Most info grabbed from http://www.askscott.com/scott/scholastic/GIFJPG.htm which grabbed from the books and put into simpliar format

PS look for my new site suggestion to help the tutorial forum i am righting up now that would have made this tutorial much easier to explain.. Thanks i will be posting a link to it after i write it.

--NetSyN

as i promised here is my tutorial forum suggest, any support is welcomed http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=234674