Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your help please

Your help please

well i hope this the is right place for the tread.....

but about a month ago I walked into my local computer store just to see the prices of some network gear.Im planning a wi/fi network for home and my studio.So I'm walking around when I see a cool computer runnung XP. so I press the enter key to see what happens and I get the log in screen.It has two users
    "Administrator" and "sales".so I decided to throw some passwords at it and long behold I got into the sales account...At that moment I saw a worker walking close so i just walked out the store.I did not see much but ...I went back to the store and found out that there is a phone line hook to it.My question is what would you do if you were me? tell them, dont say a thing.
    have some fun or whay?

Thanks for you info and comments.
    [glowpurple]A_420_hacker_24::.\"A man without a computer is just a man, a man with a computer is a Admin\" ... \"If its not 4:20 on your clock, it\'s time to change the time\"..:Quotations from Larry Wall:.
    \"I think you didn\'t get a reply because you used the terms \"correct\" and \"proper\", neither of which has much meaning in Perl culture. :-) \"
    [/glowpurple]

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Just walk away.

This is an ethics question. All I can offer is an opinion. So here it is.

Your best bet is to tell the manager. Just because you had the sense not to be ev0l doesn't mean that some other customer won't exploit that computer. Over all you will be doing them a favor, it is better to hear it from you then to be in on the front page of The Register. So save the company some embarassment and do the right thing.
    Civilization. The death of dreams.

Ok this is just my thought on this but I would give them the chance to fix there little problem but if it continued and they didn't fix it or they did and not that well I would have a little fun and let them know again. But the right thing would be to tell them that you cracked there password so easily and help them out. Plus I'm curious what password did you use that cracked it. Whatever you do is totally up to you.

Today is the past, tomorrow is now!

The fact that you're asking probably means that you already know the answer. There's enough trouble out there without adding one more kiddie hack to the list.

The responsible thing to do would be to alert the store manager that they have a problem. Most electronics retail people like to fancy themselves computer experts, when in reality most of them don't have a clue. Try to explain about password security in a way that will help them, but not sound condescending or make them feel dumb.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Tell them, but anonymously.
    Playing with another pc than yours is not really a good idea. The better choice is to protect them even if they haven't asked help. The anonymous manner is because some helped people are really dumb and can cause you some problems.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

as xmad said just walk away do u really wanna get a heavy talking to by somesales rep that doesent know ****
    he maybe even phone the police hey some ppl are like that it best left well alone
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Either do what xmad or KissCool says... you don't need them to know you were tinkering with their stuff, and the best bet would be to walk away, but if you have to do something then contact them anonymously and tell them of their flaw. Just reinforcing what others have said.

Duh. What did you plan to do? I mean, I doubt their modem # is listed. Wardial the whole exchange? Short answer is what everyone else is basically saying. I mean, I assume you know right from wrong. Besides, is there anything you could do with a lame winblows box worth your time? If you are really seriously considering this, get a hobby or something man.
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

Yeah.... now that I think about it, the others are right. It's probably best not to let them know you were monkeying around with their equipment. They might not appreciate that.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!